Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male cage cleaning frequency

4 posters

Go down

Male cage cleaning frequency Empty Male cage cleaning frequency

Post by CuriousWhiskers Tue 16 Mar 2021, 11:20 am

I've heard some say that because males are smellier, they need their cage cleaned more often. BUT, I've also heard that if you clean less frequently(still spot cleaning every couple days), they smell less.

I know there are different factors, so let's use the scenario of a cage(bettter ventilated than a tank, but not as good as a full wire cage. Like, a bin cage) that is between 300 and 600 square inches, using mostly aspen bedding, but with some shredded paper mixed in.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Curious

Back to top Go down

Male cage cleaning frequency Empty Re: Male cage cleaning frequency

Post by River Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:54 pm

think you'll notice most people who clean a ton still complain that the boys smell, but if it works for them...alright! Laughing

I clean my cage (over 600sq inches but not a ton, so close to this situation) about every 3-4 weeks and spot-clean in betwee. I decided on this schedule by trial and error. If I cleaned weekly, he smelled like old pee within a day. The more I pushed it back the better it got, but it started to smell a little at 3-4 weeks so that's when I do the clean out. Even then it's not usually the strong urine smell like when he first got home. It's more just...kind of mousey? I can't explain it. Laughing

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

SarahAdams, CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Wed 17 Mar 2021, 9:42 am

My three boys stunk so badly when I got them I was in despair, but after they settled into their large bins, the smell has been reduced by about 90%. I just do spot cleaning mostly. Now that each has his established "pee" corner, it's easier.

I did a complete clean-out a few weeks ago but saved some old bedding to mix with the new. The smell increased for a few days but now again is hardly noticeable.

I use paper bedding as it's absorbent and nice and soft for little feet. They like digging in it, throwing it around, and moving it during the night as they attempt to bury their wheels. Laughing

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

CuriousWhiskers and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 1:29 am

I use paper bedding too, plus some toilet paper, Kleenex, and shredded paper. I clean once a month deeply, once a week I take out the toilet paper/paper products as they tend to get stinkier, spot clean the bedding and exchange his toys with clean ones. I leave his nesting spot as he never messes it and it doesn't smell. I leave some old bedding in after a thoughough clean.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

SarahAdams and CuriousWhiskers like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down