Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION

4 posters

Go down

URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION Empty URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION

Post by april7510 Tue 17 Dec 2019, 4:20 pm

Please help! I have 2 female mice Lily and Lilac I bought from petco over the summer. 2 days ago I found Lily hunched over breathing heavily in her purple tube, not sleeping with her sister like usual. I am almost 100% sure she has a respiratory infection, but my mom won’t let me take her to the vet even if I pay. I’m scared it’s already spreader to Lilac. I’ve heard that Baytril is what they prescribe for mice at the vet, and I found this link https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10#shopify-product-reviews . Is this safe for the mice ? What is the dosage ? Lily is a bit chunky and her sister Lilac is smaller . I was thinking .2 mL for Lilac and .3 mL for lily ? How do I give it to them ? I was thinking of just putting a bit of baby food or banana in the syringe with the Baytril, is that fine ? HELP !

Last edited by april7510 on Tue 17 Dec 2019, 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Lack of info)

april7510

Back to top Go down

URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION Empty Re: URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION

Post by Oreoandfriends Tue 17 Dec 2019, 7:14 pm

It’s so scary having sick mice! Do you know what the cause of a respiring infection could be? This could also be a sign of an allergic reaction, mice can be allergic to things like aspen bedding and sunflower seeds. I have never dealt with respiratory infections personally so I’m hoping someone else will reply who has. Is there absolutely ANY way you could get them to the vet? It’s not too safe to give them medicine without the prescription from an exotic vet or with no past experience. For now, I would eliminate any possible allergens, do a deep clean, make their cage comfortable, and you may want to isolate them (however this can be stressful for females). I hope everything goes ok, sorry I wasn’t able to give too much information!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION Empty Re: URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION

Post by Echoe77 Tue 17 Dec 2019, 9:33 pm

Hi,
One of my mine was on Baytril I don't remember how much it was, but he had trouble taking it. There are also different concentrations of medicine. This has information on dosages, but I wouldn't administer anything without vet approval. Mice are so small giving them any kind of medication can affect them greatly.
https://www.usf.edu/research-innovation/comparative-medicine/documents/cmdc/c171-rodent-therapeutics.pdf
"When taking Antibiotics not only are the bad bacteria killed off, so are the "good" Bacteria in the Gut. So using a Probiotic to re-populate the Gut with "good" Bacteria may alleviate certain side effects like diarrhea. It will also aid in digestion even after the Antibiotics. Remember while giving any Antibiotics in the water, always give the Probiotic on the food."

My newer vet always prescribes Tribrissen (for cats and dogs) for infections 3 micro drops (.03ml). There usually isn't a reason to separate them, if one has it the other has already been exposed. It really depends on the immune system of each mouse. I wouldn't give the healthy mouse medicine unless they show signs that they aren't fighting off the infection. Your best bet is to find a vet, even a regular vet may have an idea on how to treat a sick mouse or at least point you in a better direction.

I am not a vet or a substitute for a vet. I can tell you what I've given to my mice in the past, but I do not recommend medicating a mouse without vet approval.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Woot!

Back to top Go down

URGENT MOUSE HAS RESPIRATORY INFECTION Empty URGENT mouse has respiratory infection

Post by april7510 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:22 pm

I know it’s not the best to medicate my mice without a vet’s advice first but my mom won’t take me and I don’t have my license, it’s either I try the medication or let her suffer so I’m not sure what do

Last edited by april7510 on Wed 18 Dec 2019, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)

april7510

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 18 Dec 2019, 5:51 pm

Can you call up the vet to see if they can give you some advice? Some may be able provide you with some guidance without scheduling an appointment.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down