Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

itchy skin been to vet still itching

3 posters

Go down

itchy skin been to vet still itching Empty itchy skin been to vet still itching

Post by kjalbaine Sun 01 Nov 2020, 7:56 pm

Hello,

My year and a half old male brindle named Roquefort has been having trouble with itchiness. I question if it is an obsessive compulsion or if he is dry maybe? He has been to the vet multiple times over it (but my exotics vet moved away and I need to find a new one). On his last exam a few months ago, they trimmed his nails and prescribed him a regimine of benadryl. That combo seemed to help, but now that his nails have grown back and the weather is getting colder maybe his skin is drying out? The itchiness is so much worse the past few days. I feel terrible for him. I will definitely bring him to a new vet to be examined but does anyone have advice? Humidifier maybe? It really doesn't look like fungus or mites, there isnt flaking or bleeding. Is there a supplement he could take to help his skin? Any advice would be helpful. Hes barbering his belly now. Other than the itching he is behaving normal eating drinking pooping peeing being active and friendly. I changed his substrate and his food in case it was an allergy. I don't know what else to do! My hamster isn't having these issues and their tanks are next to each other and use the same bedding. So if it was parasite or something like that i'd think they would both be affected.

Thanks,

Kara

kjalbaine

Scorpio

Back to top Go down

itchy skin been to vet still itching Empty Re: itchy skin been to vet still itching

Post by Honey102019 Wed 23 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm

If his scratching is limited to his belly, it could be bedding.

Try switching to just paper towels laying flat for a week.  If he stops scratching then stick with paper towels until his wounds heal.  Then try a paper bedding like Kaytee Clean and Cozy or Uber (sold in stores at Walmart).  I've also had good luck with Petsmart's brand All Living Things paper.

Some mice need to have their nails trimmed on a regular basis.  You can do it yourself.  But, you need someone to hold the mouse while you wear reader glasses and use a baby nail clipper.  Some come with a light and magnifying glass built in (check amazon).  Have a styptic pencil or powder on hand should you nick him by accident.

Giving him more things to climb may help wear down his nails.  Try things like chew kabobs, hanging bridges made of orchard sticks, large wood hides, driftwood pieces found in the reptile aisle, dried branches from trees known to be pesticide free and are a species safe for mice like aspen or other hard woods.

Your vet can also put him on steroids to get the itching under control long enough for his wounds to heal.  

If you've been applying Neosporin, watch him closely after applying it.  Some mice are allergic to the Neomycin in triple antibiotics.  Bacitracin might be a better choice to prevent infection or ask your vet if Baytril oral antibiotic can be prescribed to prevent infection instead.

I've had two mice with ulcerative dermatitis.  The only things that helped their itching were Benadryl (dosage calculated by a vet),  Vetericyn Plus HydroGel, and a colloidal oatmeal mixture I make myself using Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal.  

Colloidal Oatmeal Wash:  

Mix 2 tablespoons warm water with 1/4 teaspoon 100% colloidal oatmeal powder.  

The mixture should feel slightly silky, if not add a little more oatmeal.

Dab the mixture onto the affected area with your finger and let it dry.  

Do not rinse it off.  The oatmeal forms a moisture barrier which protects the inflamed skin and helps it heal.  The oatmeal soothes the skin and controls the itching.  

Wrap your mouse in a clean towel and hold him close until he is dry.  Don't return him to his habitat until he is completely dry or he may catch a chill.

Apply the mixture as often as needed.  

Make a fresh mixture each time as it doesn't keep well.

I hope he feels better soon.
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

itchy skin been to vet still itching Empty Re: itchy skin been to vet still itching

Post by Honey102019 Wed 23 Dec 2020, 11:46 pm

I also forgot to mention probiotics and some other things...

Itching can be due to an autoimmune disease called Ulcerative Dermatitis.  I mentioned I had 2 mice with this condition.  I learned about the role of gut flora and autoimmune diseases too late to help either mouse.  Had I known I would have added this product...

PetAg Bene-Bac Small Animal Powder

...to their food.  

You may also want to read this article.  

Comparison of 3 Topical Treatments against Ulcerative Dermatitis in Mice

Honestly, I'd just skip down to the "Results" paragraph.  That's where you will find that Sodium Hypochlorite was the most effective against treating UD.  Sodium Hypochlorite is one of the main ingredients in Vetericyn Plus Hydrogel.

Another option which your vet can give you is Silver Sulfadiazene 1% Cream.  It sticks to the wound making it harder for your mouse to lick or scratch it off.  The silver aids in healing wounds.  It made a huge difference in healing wounds on a mouse that was severely barbered.

Most vets carry the large jar of Ascend Silver Sulfadiazene 1% Cream.  But, it's pricey.  Ask your vet for a prescription for the 50g tube instead.  It's only $14.49 at WalmartPetRx...

Silver Sulfadiazene Cream 50 g
Honey102019
Honey102019

Cool

River likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 25 Dec 2020, 1:40 am

My itchy mouse did well on silver sulfadiazine for a while. It didn't solve the problem but it gave her a longer period of relief than anything else did. Smile

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down