Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Lost

3 posters

Go down

I'm Lost Empty I'm Lost

Post by Artistwolf Sat 22 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

So hi.
Sorry I haven't been active lately... it's been a little crazy. Because I'm now officially a senior in high school. Yay? No! It's horrible because now I have to do this stupid college search stuff that kills my soul.
Anyway, so long story short, I was all happy with the idea that I would go into architecture. But then I went and toured another university, and found out that Interior Design has nothing to do with curtains and cushions, but rather with designing the whole layout of the inside of a house, or designing furniture, and all that. So now that interests me too!!
So what do I do?? How do I choose?? Architecture is a lot more technical than interior design, which is a lot more artsy and creative. But am I really creative enough for interior design?? I can't even draw anything without a reference, for goodness' sake. But I just don't know.
I'm so lost and confused and dead right now >_>

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

I'm Lost Empty Re: I'm Lost

Post by CanadianExport Sat 22 Oct 2016, 3:30 pm

Have you looked into actually talking with an architect or interior designer who works out in that field? I know it seems really scary but it can be a huge help in actually deciding what you want to do. Trust me I have been in your position, I went to college when I was 25, my drive to get into the field I went into was not passion or anything it was stability, but one thing that my career counselor at college recommended was to reach out to people in the various accounting areas and talk to people about what the work was actually like. I have found that a lot of professionals are quite willing to talk to students who are trying to find out about the field. I know that it seems terrifying but it really is worth it. Don't just rely on the college people for the info about the field but they might have contacts that you can talk to. Another source is to look into professional organizations and see if they have people who would be willing to talk to you.

With a note about drawing things, a lot of people now use computer aided design software now so that might be something that can help with your drawing stuff.

I wish you the best and if you would like to talk more about contacting companies and stuff feel free to PM me. I just spent the last 2 years working with career services at my college and working on networking and stuff to find a job. My field is accounting but a lot of the workforce now understands the importance of encouraging future professionals. As long as you present yourself as professional, respectful, and serious most professionals who are worth getting to know are willing to talk.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sat 22 Oct 2016, 9:50 pm

That's probably a good idea. I know my childhood best friend's husband is an architect, but they just had a baby so I can't really contact them now XP But yeah, I need to talk to someone who actually does that.. 
Thanks! I might just contact you later.

I am leaning more toward interior design, though—it's a lot more artsy, whereas the architecture program has a lot of things like learning about different supports, and concrete, and materials, and how to build a house... which I'm honestly not really that into.
AND I found that the community college offers a free (through the A+ program) 2-year program in interior design!! So then I can probably transfer to a university later for the next two years. We're going to check on it... but if that all works, I think that might be what I end up doing!

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm

I think if you want to do interior design, you absolutely could! I'm with Canadian; talk to professionals! See if you can get some shadowing experience. Just try everything and see what calls to your heart.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Sun 23 Oct 2016, 12:42 am

You should make sure that the interior design program is accredited and transferable to a 4 year university. Not all community college programs are and not all 4 year universities will accept all programs. You don't want to waste two years and find out your program won't transfer like you thought. Another place to look for people you can talk to is a nearby university with an interior design major. Most majors will have advisors you can talk to and those advisors might be able to connect you with more people.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:10 am

Cinna: Thanks! I'll do that. I hope you're right Smile

Canadian: Yeah, I was definetely planning to check on it before I do anything. You're totally right! Ah yes, that's a good idea... I'll ask the Maryville U advisors about it.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down