Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat Litter

4 posters

Go down

Cat Litter Empty Cat Litter

Post by CallaLily Tue 06 Dec 2016, 9:56 am

What's the best cat litter you've found to work well with multiple cats?

I've been trying a few different types and so far I'm not super happy with any of them. I picked up a new one yesterday to try so we'll see how that goes, but thought I'd ask for opinions here too since I know at least a few of you have cats. Cat3

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Cat Litter Empty Re: Cat Litter

Post by Peachy Tue 06 Dec 2016, 5:26 pm

We use Tidy Cats 24/7. But we have three litter boxes and we scoop twice a day to try to keep the dog out of it. She's gross.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Tue 06 Dec 2016, 5:38 pm

My mum uses this litter but she only has one cat. It seems to work really well though and they do have a multi-cat formula but I do not know what the difference is. Sorry I can't be much help.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/cat/cat-litter-boxes-and-accessories/cat-litter/worlds-best-cat-litter-clumping-formula
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 06 Dec 2016, 8:56 pm

Thanks guys!  

I had been using Tidy Cats Instant Action but I really think (hope) I can find better. We do have multiple boxes and scoop daily. Cats use it fine, I just don't like how poorly clumps hold and odor control.  I've tried a few of their other formulas (that black label one is the worst!) but I don't think I've tried the 24/7.  I'll keep that and the World's Best in mind if this Fresh Results stuff doesn't work.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 06 Dec 2016, 9:05 pm

I just use the generic Petco litter in the refillable pail. But I also use a litter genie which really cuts down on the smell, you know unless they just pooped! It's kind of a pain in the butt to use but worth it in my book.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 06 Dec 2016, 9:39 pm

The toilet looking litter box?

Edit:  I googled it. By poor odor control I don't mean the clumps I've already scooped. Those are in a tightly sealed bucket until it needs emptying. But when scooping, the clumps break apart and leave little soiled bits in the box, which causes odor to build up in the box quicker than I feel it should.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 06 Dec 2016, 11:07 pm

Ah. Well I'm pretty happy with the Petco stuff. You can refill your own pail for a discounted price. Our sandbox is about 10 feet away from the couch and you wouldn't even know it's there unless there is fresh poop. I had a second box for a while but they stopped using it. So I just have the one box for both cats and it doesn't smell. I use the unscented litter.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 06 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm

I don't smell the Tidy Cats unless someone just stopped at it, but I don't think it's the best at clumping. It's usually more of a... soggy mess. As long as there's enough litter in there, it's still pretty easy to scoop out/even out the "clump crumbs." Razz

I don't like the other Tidy Cat formulas because of how much I can smell/taste the dust. lol

Always dream about trying out the Petco litter. I haven't tried anything new because my Missy is picky. If she doesn't like the litter she'll go in a corner. Eek!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 07 Dec 2016, 6:36 am

Clump crumbs. Laughing That's exactly what it is. Laughing

I'll keep Petco's litter in mind too. Hopefully one of these will work better. Thanks!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 15 Dec 2016, 11:35 am

Update: it's only been about a week and half but so far I'm really liking the Fresh Results litter.  I've got one box that's fully Fresh Results and the rest are still transitioning over, so they're a mix of it and the tidy cats.  

I know it is maybe a bit controversial because A) it's corn cob based and B) it's pine scented. But so far it's working a lot better for me and the cats use it no problem. Here's hoping it keeps working.

Pros
-clumps well
-tracks less
-good odor control
-light weight

Cons
-pine scented (they might make an unscented one?)
-some corn cob horror stories out there
-not sure yet how it's going to work out on price, might be a little more expensive

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 11 May 2017, 10:52 am

I know this is old but thought I'd update. I ended up switching again.  The brand I was getting just stopped being stocked at my local stores...or maybe they stopped making it?  Idk for sure, but we tried a few other brands of corncob based litters that had popped up after our brand disappeared and they just weren't working out.  They weren't as good with odor or clumping. Blech.

I didn't really want to go back to clay so I transitioned over to Feline Fresh Natural Pine Cat Litter. It's a pelleted litter made of "100% pure american grown pine. No additives, fillers, perfumes, or dyes.  A natural by-product of the lumber industry."  

So far I'm really really liking it.

-reduces urine odor really well.
-minimal tracking.
-poos are a tiny bit harder to scoop but I think I can solve this if I can find a scoop with slightly larger slats for the pellets to fall through more easily.
-urine causes the pellets to break down into a fluffy sawdust, once all or most of the pellets have broken down just empty, wash, and refill. Really liking this visual cue to change out the box rather than a smelly one! Haha Lasts about a week for me in their favorites boxes.
-and best of all imo, no sticky mess at the bottom or sides of the litter pan.
-the cats are transitioning over pretty easily too. Cat6

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 11 May 2017, 10:19 pm

Interesting. I've looked into clay alternatives because Missy likes to kick all the litter right out of the pan and it's a pain in the butt, but she's picky and I'm not sure how she'd take to anything else. If she doesn't like the litter she won't hesitate to go find somewhere else... The "best" spots have been on a windowsill and on top of a cage. Bonk
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 12 May 2017, 7:33 am

On the first day I did have a cat that was a little peached about the change and poo'd in the bathtub! But it hasn't happened since so I think we're good now. Cats. Rolling Eyes Most reviews I've read are good but there are a couple low scores because their cat refused to use it. The bag suggests transitioning over slowly by putting in the required one inch of pine pellets and topping with one or two inches of your current brand and then slowly reducing the amount of old litter each time you empty the box. Personally I just completely switched over a box at a time. I've got two left to do but they're already using the pine ones the most (their favorites anyway).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down