Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter

4 posters

Go down

Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter Empty Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter

Post by Donnamae Sun 25 Dec 2016, 8:03 am

Hi,
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanekkah to All.
Ive had several posts in the introduction forum and have received incredible advice and knowledge.  Ive been rescuing wild mice from glue traps at work and setting up humane traps.  We have released nine so far.
Anyway, Wed, I got back from lunch and one of my coworkers put the trap I had set in his cubicle on my desk.  It had a mouse in it.   Another trap in someone elses cubicle also had a mouse. So Prancer and Dancer came home with me.  Anyway, one who had been very quiet gave birth .  I checked on t hem last night before I went to bed. They are in two different glass tanks and this one I was a little worried about becasue she hadn't been doing anything with her water bowl and was pretty much in the same spot. She did look a little fat and I figured shes either just so terrified, sick or pregnant.  The tanks are in a corner of an unused bedroom, on the floor.  Its not really well lit and even tho I turn on a lamp near the tanks , and another floor lamp on the other side of the room, its not really easy to see , esp if its cloudy out (like yesterday) or night.  But Im pretty sure they werent there last night.
After several past escapes with other mice, I havent been doing much removal of old food etc in the tanks. So there are sometimes pieces of bread left.  
Yesterday during the day, I did see this mouse in a different area of the tank so I as least knew she was moving around.  At first I was thinking she was constantly in the same spot and that worried me.
Anyway, there are alot of little pinkies strewn about.  They are so little and laying on their sides.  I read some of the info posted about not disturbing them etc.  But I did go back and peek to try to determine whether they are dead or alive, and I saw her over where there was one.   Should they all be in the same spot or is it ok that they are in different areas?  There isnt anything like a "nest".  
We keep our house pretty warm but I put on a space heater in the room.  We are travelling today so when we leave, Ill have to turn it off but maybe Ill turn up the thermostat a degree or two.
So should I NOT do anything for three days like the post says. (Except check the water)  The tank for the other is right next to her. So maybe I should move it farther away?
Also, there is the bit about NOT having any kind of a water dish in the cage so the pinkies dont drown.  I do have a bottle that came with a cage when I naively bought a hamster cage for the first mouse . but how in the world would I get it secured?
This is all so heartbreaking but their alternative in my workplace is worse.
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter Empty Re: Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Dec 2016, 10:49 am

Ideally baby mice should be in one big pile. They get cold fast, and being all over the place doesn't help them. Can you give Mom a something to hide in and lots of nesting material? Shredded paper works wonderfully, they kind of weave it into a big nest ball.

I would disturb them as little as possible, before three days or after. In a few weeks, when they're all grown and weaned, you'll want to release them the same as you've done for the others (awesome, awesome that you do this, btw!!).

I've never had a wild mouse litter, but I know that with my domesticated litters, the babies learned to drink from the water bottles from their mothers. Maybe someone else might have different advice, but I think a small, shallow water dish should be fine. Maybe put it up on a sort of perch so that the babies can't easily wander into it. Since wild mice don't use water bottles in the wild, we recommend against using them for wild mice. Between their instincts and their mother, the babies should learn everything they need to know... hopefully including not to drown! lol  

Good luck!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter Empty Re: Recently rescued wild mouse just had a litter

Post by Donnamae Sun 25 Dec 2016, 11:15 am

Thanks so much Peachy.. mama has alot of shredded paper but isn't doing anything with it. My wild ones, sometimes i have noticed ,take a few days to make their nests. I think they are just so traumatized
And maybe she has that new mother syndrome I read about in the sticky..
It's just sad.
We won't be back home til 6 so I hope they manage.
Is it ok to leave the dry bread or should I be adding fresh bread twice a day?

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 25 Dec 2016, 12:44 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about the stress of being caught, also. Hopefully she'll come around and care for her babies. Can you tell if she's feeding them?

Dry bread is okay. For a nursing mom, you might consider also feeding her some bird seed, mealworms, cat/dog kibble, etc.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 25 Dec 2016, 3:35 pm

You can also try feeding her plain cooked chicken and scrambled/hard boiled eggs too for extra protein. Obviously, its not part of her natural diet but she could probably use the protein and you probably already have those things on hand. You sure do take good care of the little mousies where you work!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Sun 25 Dec 2016, 6:00 pm

Thanks so much!!! I was doing some parakeet seed but stopped. Don't know why . Think I'm getting stressed.
As soon as I get done with putting my fingers in my cats mouth for meds , I'm going to check on them.

If a baby is obviously dead, I guess I should remove?

I love the idea of the boiled egg , however I'm afraid if I am not able to clean it up properly it's going to start stinking if she doesn't eat it. At least with bread and seed, it just gets stale. Maybe I could put the egg in a little dish to contain it.

I truly appreciate your help
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Sun 25 Dec 2016, 7:05 pm

Well, mom does have all the babies in one area, they are not scattered. They are still pink, but not really moving. I just threw in some bread, fritos and seed and put a smidgen of water in a prescription bottle cap on the other side of the cage.according to the sticky, I should hardly disturb them.
These babies almost don't look fully formed. Like the eyes don't look like they are closed. It almost looks like embryonic eyes.
Also I thought t h ere was one sort of whitish half baby this am, and I couldn't spend too much time, but didn't see him/her. And there was a blood spot on a paper towel. Maybe she ate it?
This is so sad but the alternative at work is worse. Hubby and I keep saying, when they get released, they can make lots of babies.
Thanks for helping me
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 25 Dec 2016, 8:51 pm

Newborn baby mice do look pretty weird, that's normal. It doesn't even look like they have eyelids, just thin membranes over their eyes. Totally normal.

The blood on the paper towel could be from the birthing process or maybe she culled one if the babies. I'm not sure what to make of the white-ish baby... It could have been dry skin, that's really common.

Just keep giving her space, she sounds like she's doing great silly far.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Mon 26 Dec 2016, 8:43 am

I think all the babies are dead. They are pretty much in the same spots. And not moving. They are looking more purple ish than pink. I added some bread and seeds just now. I think these mice are so traumatized they will not nurse and care for the babies. Maybe she needed another mouse in the tank with her but I was afraid to take the chance of putting them together.
This is so sad.. Thanks for helping me try to help them.
Donnamae
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 26 Dec 2016, 3:53 pm

Aw, that's too bad. Poor babies. I'm sure momma was incredibly stressed out and might have also been a first time mom. How sad for everyone Sad

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Mon 26 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

Thank you for the condolences. I think one is still alive. Kind of waving the little arm when I did the evening check. The others don't look alive . I cry throughout the day on occasion. I can empathize so much with her.
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Tue 27 Dec 2016, 5:39 am

Hi
I checked on them quickly before I left for work. She moved the one who I thought was still alive away from the others. That one is still pink and I was trying to quickly see if still alive and s/he changed positions. Also, mama is now burrowing under some paper towels so maybe is getting the nest concept. It would be nice if at least one were to survive. Of course, that means I keep them for how long ? 4 weeks minimum? That's ok, I can do that
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:31 am

Well, I havent updated in awhile. All the babies died. And then the other mouse had a litter and all of them died. This was horrible. We buried them all in the back yard. Then one of the mice escaped while I was cleaning. This had happened with a different batch in the past and we were able to recatch them. Only this one, shes not falling for the baited trap.
But my other problem you can hopefully help me with is this---- Of course, I would prefer to get the both of them to release together. But if im not able to catch the escapee soon, that wont be the case. But in the meantime, the remaining girl is a real chewer. Shes in a 5 gallon tank with those metal screens on top. She is able to hook on to the underside of the top and is chewing the plastic margin of the rim of the tank. It will not be enough to allow her to escape, I dont think, but its disturbing. There is little black detritus all over the tank that I am constantly trying to remove or switching her from tank to tank. Im worried that she is ingesting some of this plastic which is not a good thing.
What kinds of tanks do you use? I got the tanks from Petco. Is there a better kind somewhere?
THanks,
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 03 Jan 2017, 6:04 am

So sorry to hear all this. How terrible! But unfortunately it happens. As for the chewing, I'm not sure what you could do to stop her. I would just release her if I were you. That way no issue with chewing and she's in her natural habitat. And hopefully you can find your other girl!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum