Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a mouse mix

2 posters

Go down

Creating a mouse mix Empty Creating a mouse mix

Post by Drago Sun 22 Jan 2017, 5:33 pm

I'm looking into getting a male and a couple female mice in the
not too distant future (the male will not be housed with the females) and I have every supply I could possibly need, EXCEPT a good food. Now from my research and asking around, there really aren't any good brands of mouse food, and none that could be eaten exclusively, so I've decided to create my own mix for my hopefully, soon-to-be mice. Below is what I've thought about putting into my mix, but want advice on what to add/drop

Whole grain oats
A low protein gerbil or parakeet seed mix
Rabbit pellets (this is by oxbow, I have a huge bag for my rabbit, but is it safe for mice?)
A low quality dog kibble (has less protein and more grains)
The young rat and mouse blocks by oxbow
And supplementing with fresh fruits+vegetables weekly

All advice will be appreciated, thank you!
Drago
Drago

Back to top Go down

Creating a mouse mix Empty Re: Creating a mouse mix

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:02 pm

I've somehow missed this post until now. Sorry.

Aren't rabbit pellets mostly hay? Not something that would be a normal part of a mouse diet so I would skip those. Many mice won't touch hay based pellets anyway. They do enjoy chewing and nesting with hay but they don't really eat much, if any at all.

I don't have much experience in using dog kibble as a part of a mouse's diet but I would be careful of cheap, low quality ingredients. What would it be adding to your mix? Protein? Dog food is usually pretty high in crude protein (for a mouse) and the cheaper ones tend to be corn based which is something I personally avoid. Why not instead offer live or dried feeder insects or plan cooked chicken or eggs a couple times a week? In my opinion that would be much healthier for them than cheap dog kibble.

Oxbows young rat and mouse food has crap ingredients, in my opinion. It's also very high in crude protein so watch how that effects your mix. Personaly I'd skip it. Their adult rat food has much better looking ingredients and lower protein, if you were still wanting to add a rodent block.

There's more diet info here: http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum