Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild Mouse with Broken Leg

2 posters

Go down

Wild Mouse with Broken Leg Empty Wild Mouse with Broken Leg

Post by Chocolbo Tue 28 Mar 2017, 3:41 am

Earlier today, one of my cats decided to give me a gift in the form of a baby, wild mouse with a broken foot/leg.

Now this baby is roughly the size of a plastic bottle cap (the Coca Cola size ones), and has all of its fur. So I'm assuming that it's, at the very least, old enough that it doesn't need mum.

The big issue here is that it's still a baby, it's got a very broken foot, none of the vets here will treat wild mice (they'll simply have it euthanised), and I believe it's one of an introduced species, and wildlife rehabilitators don't usually give two hoots about the 'invasive' species.

That leaves me with two options (that I can see); 1. to nurse it to health and release it back into the wild and hope for the best, or 2. have it live in a cage for the remainder of its days.

I guess my questions are 1. what is the best option for this baby in terms of rehabilitation, and how to deal with the broken leg (knowing that the vets will euthanise) and 2. how on earth do I care for a wild mouse (and potentially prepare it for a life of captivity)?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Chocolbo

Back to top Go down

Wild Mouse with Broken Leg Empty Re: Wild Mouse with Broken Leg

Post by CallaLily Tue 28 Mar 2017, 7:11 am

Hello. I don't have any advice on the broken leg but this article goes into detail on the care and release of wild mice. https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t4-wild-mouse-mice-care-and-information

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum