Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freezing mouse food?

4 posters

Go down

Freezing mouse food? Empty Freezing mouse food?

Post by Sigildoe Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:37 pm

So I have had a hamster in the past and we kept the food in the freezer. This is apparently to prevent insects?
Now some of the recommended food for mice is hamster food and parakeet food. Obviously if I fed them hamster food I would have for freeze it but what about the parakeet food?
And should it be kept in the freezer or just frozen for a certain period of time?
How do you guys store your food, and what do you feed your babies? Thanks for letting me know!
Sigildoe
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Freezing mouse food? Empty Re: Freezing mouse food?

Post by CallaLily Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:01 pm

I have air tight jars that I store a couple months worth of food in at room temp. But since I buy their food in bulk, I store the rest in the freezer until I need it, to keep it from going stale. This has worked well for me, so if you wanted to freeze food as a precaution against bugs, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. Parakeet food too. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:20 pm

Personally I just keep Colin's food in airtight containers in the cupboard - for about half the year our freezer is jammed pack full of garden produce! We also tend to buy small bags at a time (what with having a single mouse, a large bag just doesn't seem worthwhile!).

We feed Colin a block (Science Selective) and we've recently switched him over onto a seed mix (rather than the mouse food mix that the pet store sold simply because he just wasn't eating any of the mix, just the science block!)

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 06 Apr 2017, 6:06 pm

Honestly, I don't freeze mice food at all. I keep it in a dry, secure food container and otherwise...that's all. I don't see it as necessary.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down