Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't?

4 posters

Go down

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't? Empty Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't?

Post by PastelMouse Tue 11 Apr 2017, 7:03 pm

Basically just the title, I don't get what makes them different and changes wheel requirements. Just curious.  Confused

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't? Empty Re: Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 11 Apr 2017, 8:18 pm

Mice can't get bumble foot, and hamsters can. Mesh wheels cause bumble foot in hamsters.

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't? Empty Re: Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't?

Post by PastelMouse Tue 11 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Mice can't get bumble foot, and hamsters can. Mesh wheels cause bumble foot in hamsters.

Ohh cool. I never knew that. Since I'm lazy and don't want to do my own research, do you know why? Is it foot structure? I haven't found anything yet on it. Also even if they can't get bumblefoot, can mice get paws stuck in the mesh?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 11 Apr 2017, 8:54 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Mice can't get bumble foot, and hamsters can. Mesh wheels cause bumble foot in hamsters.

Ohh cool. I never knew that. Since I'm lazy and don't want to do my own research, do you know why? Is it foot structure? I haven't found anything yet on it. Also even if they can't get bumblefoot, can mice get paws stuck in the mesh?
I honestly don't know why, hopefully someone else here knows and can explain. I have never, ever heard of an incident like that myself, and it has never happened to any of my mice. 5 of my 10 mice have had mesh wheels their whole life, and no problems have ever occurred. You just want to make sure they are properly sized, as a wheel to small, mesh or not mesh, can cause major issues. There are also many, many others on here that use mesh wheels with no issues. So it appears that injuries from a mesh wheel are very rare in mice. Also, mice really enjoy mesh wheels! They have a ton of fun doing loops on the wheel Smile

Why can mice use mesh wheels but hamsters can't? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 11 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

It also has to do with the way. they run. Instead of running with a flat foot, mice grab/cling with their toes. So on mesh wheels, you'll see mice clinging on and spinning around upside down. It also helps that they barely weigh anything!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 11 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm

scaredymouse wrote:It also has to do with the way.  they run.  Instead of running with a flat foot, mice grab/cling with their toes.  So on mesh wheels, you'll see mice clinging on and spinning around upside down.  It also helps that they barely weigh anything!
I thought it had to do with their size too, but then I thought of robo hamsters. Confused

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:19 am

Yes, it's all in how they run and, from what I've read, that it's extremely rare for mice to get bumblefoot and when they do, it's usually from being force to live on wired floor, not the wheel.

As for paws getting stuck, again the way they run and grip there is very little risk for injury to happen - no more risk than any other wheel type (all wheel types have some risk).  They just don't bumble around the way hamsters do - though my Chinese ham is almost as agile as the mice but past Syrians and dwarfs I've had were quite clumsy.  If it makes you feel better, there's a gentleman on Facebook who has had a HUGE number of mice over the years and uses mesh wheels and he says he's never had a wheel related injury. Ever.  And I know many here have used mesh wheels for mice for years with no issues either.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down