Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Popcorn Stage?

4 posters

Go down

Popcorn Stage? Empty Popcorn Stage?

Post by Desolation Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:06 pm

I have just adopted my 6-week old male mouse, Mercy, only 2 days ago. When the breeder was showing me the mice, they were hopping all over the place and running around. They were all very jumpy. Ever since I brought Mercy home he hasn’t really jumped all that much unless I walk over to the tank and he will jump/bolt towards the nearest den. I read a page online saying that the popcorn stage comes a little after the mouse opens its eyes and that it usually only lasts for a week or two. It says that once they are 5-6 weeks old that is when they will want to explore everything. Since he is 6 weeks old, I would assume that he would be curious about his surroundings, but he isn’t. He’s very skittish, but I guess thats because he’s still stressed out about leaving his siblings. It honestly seems like he’s still going through his popcorn stage, and I’m not necessarily sure how I’d be able to tame him without him jumping away from me. If he still is in the stage, then I’m pretty disappointed with the breeder. Help?

Desolation

Back to top Go down

Popcorn Stage? Empty Re: Popcorn Stage?

Post by CallaLily Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:22 pm

It's completely normal for a new mouse to be skittish and jumpy in their new home. They're still adjusting to the change. I would give him a few more days to settle in, then begin taming - but I know others prefer to get started right away. You can use a box or tube to transfer him from his tank to a safe play area. I use a sterilite bin as a playground but some prefer to use the bathtub for taming.

The other thing, what size is your cage and how is it set up? Mice, especially new untamed mice, don't do well with wide open spaces so it's recommended to give them a lot of toys and hides and also not to start off with a very large enclosure.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Desolation Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:35 pm

He’s living in a 20 gallon tank at the moment. I have another 20 gallon that I will “connect” together once he gets older. He has two dens and a large tube that he likes to hide in and has plenty of toys that take up most of the tank

Desolation

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 26 Apr 2017, 9:05 pm

I agree, he is probably just a little scared being in a totally new environment. He will come around, not to worry. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by KellysMom Fri 12 May 2017, 9:10 am

I tied a large cloth scarf around my neck, & keep mine with me as much i can. He gets right in my hand if i put it near him, whether he is in his tank, or on my bed. Maybe you could hand feed him, i guess that is why mine comes to me, & mine was wild from the backyard
KellysMom
KellysMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum