Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it bad to get pet store mice?

4 posters

Go down

Is it bad to get pet store mice? Empty Is it bad to get pet store mice?

Post by PastelMouse Sun 07 May 2017, 5:22 pm

If I don't really have another option, is getting a pet store mouse ok? Or should I avoid it?

Although there are occasionally mice on Craigslist, 95% of the time they're females (I was hoping to get a male) or come with a pricey cage I have no use for. +most, if not all, are from petstores anyways.

If I shouldn't buy a mouse I wont, just wanted to get people opinion's on the ethics of it.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Is it bad to get pet store mice? Empty Re: Is it bad to get pet store mice?

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 07 May 2017, 5:33 pm

Pastel, it is perfectly fine to get a mouse from a pet store. You have looked at different avenues to no avail, so there is nothing wrong with getting a pet store mouse. Pet store mice need homes too. It isn't their fault they ended up in a pet store. So, in my opinion, you are still rescuing them. Mickey came from PetSmart and he chose me, he wanted out of there and I couldn't deny him that. And he is an absolutely wonderful boy! So feel free to get yourself a little pet store boy! Dance
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 07 May 2017, 5:46 pm

This topic came up (again) not long ago. Most of us agree that when there are no other options and it's either go to a pet store or don't keep mice, it's okay to go to the pet store.

I agree that they all deserve homes no matter where they came from. It's not their fault how they came into the world. The girls I brought home yesterday are two of the sweetest, and the self black girl practically demanded that if I was going to get one, I had to get her two (too).
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 07 May 2017, 5:59 pm

Most of my mice are/have been feeder mice from petco. If I can find one up for adoption near me, I'll go for those first. But if not, I go ahead and save a little feeder mouse from being a meal. Wink

Edit to add that I'm lucky in that the petco nearest to me takes pretty good care of their animals, but I know other's have had worse experience with their local petco. It's good to check out the stores in your area first, see what kind of condition their animals are in. There is one petco further from me that has horrible conditions so I would never buy from them.

Last edited by CallaLily on Sun 07 May 2017, 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Sun 07 May 2017, 6:16 pm

Glad to hear the general idea is that it's fine. Because I wont be getting a mouse for at least another month or so, I'll have tons of time to check out different petstores. (And see if any pop up on CL!)

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down