Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with ivermectin

2 posters

Go down

Help with ivermectin Empty Help with ivermectin

Post by Flower Thu 18 May 2017, 3:20 am

Hello! I've finally been able to get some ivermectin from the vet for the girls I'm trying to treat for mites, but the bottle my vet gave me is 1000 micrograms per mL or 1 mg/mL. I'm worried that it's not enough to be effective since all I've seen on the forums is 5mg/mL.

I've also heard that you need to dilute it 1 part ivermectin medication to 5 parts water, so do I just not dilute it at all?

Also, just to clarify, should I apply 3 drops directly on their scruff? Then 1 drop a week for 3 weeks? Would you recommend me spraying the diluted solution through their bedding as well (once a week for three weeks)? I've also heard of people waiting 2 weeks in between the 3 weeks of applications and then going for 3 weeks again. Is that really necessary? It's all so confusing because there are a lot of posts about it on various forums and it seems a lot of people do slightly different things!

Ps. Thank you so much, everybody, for your help with Popcorn, her wound has healed completely and she's looking a lot less irritated now! I took sunflower seeds out of her food, so maybe it's because of that. But I'll still treat them for mites; I don't want to get scared again!

Help with ivermectin Screen10
Help with ivermectin Screen10

Flower

Back to top Go down

Help with ivermectin Empty Re: Help with ivermectin

Post by scaredymouse Thu 18 May 2017, 5:14 am

What the vet gave you is diluted already. The way we recommend using it is one drop topically to the e back of the neck (then use your finger to spread it down the spine, mostly so they don't shake it off), every week for 3 weeks. Then take 2 weeks off, then do another 3 week course of the ivermectin, then stop.

So is that necessary? Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to say. It's what i do. Based on the life cycle of some of these parasites, it's possible they could survive a 3 week course of ivermectin. But i also think that 3 weeks is enough for most people who either do it as a precaution or "just in case". And really, at the end of the day, i would do what the vet says. That said, the one time i actually got ivermectin from the vet instead of Amazon, they had me use it for 6 weeks. However, my critter had lost most of her hair and they strongly suspected mites.

As far as spraying the bedding, i have never done that. If you do though, make sure its dry before putting your mouse back in. During treatment, i only use disposable or washable toys. And bedding gets changed weekly per usual. And any wooden toys that were used, i bake to kill any mites. I prefer that to spraying, but that's just me.

Good luck, glad your mouse is doing better!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Flower Thu 18 May 2017, 6:01 am

Great, thank you so much!

Flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content