Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help!

4 posters

Go down

Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help! Empty Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help!

Post by SkywalkerSyd Wed 21 Jun 2017, 11:41 pm

Hey guys I know topics have been made like this before but I'm particularly worried (although also excited) for the upcoming introduction of my mice. Bird was my first baby and I have a special love for her due to having to supplement and feed her formula when I first got her due to her young age. She has remained rather shy and skittish but opens up to me when she feels secure.

My two newbie girls (Mogwai and Mowgli) are what I would guess around 5-6 weeks old, so all of my mice are around the same age. M&M are already accustomed to my hand being around (although no handling yet), and are more social than Bird.

I'm worried that in the introduction having two new mice will be overwhelming for Bird, and that she's going to get bullied. I still have a couple weeks left of Q but I'm quite anxious over this so any advice would help.

What's the best way to introduce one female to a duo?
SkywalkerSyd
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

Back to top Go down

Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help! Empty Re: Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help!

Post by scaredymouse Fri 23 Jun 2017, 5:17 pm

I wish I have magical advice for you but the best way to introduce them is the same for everyone. Neutral territory, no blood/no problem, etc. Have you read our section on introductions already?

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t19-keeping-mice-together-introducing-them

One more thing you can do before introductions is to swap out nest boxes a few days before to help them get used to each others smells. It's best if they are the same size/age, which it sounds like they are, so that's good! Females want and need to live together. They may squeak, chase, and bicker but that's all normal. They will work it out because they need each other and they know it. Sometimes intros go rough, but if there is no blood, there is no problem.

Good luck!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help! Empty Re: Introducing one shy mouse to a social duo? Help!

Post by SkywalkerSyd Mon 03 Jul 2017, 10:46 pm

Thank you for the response Smile

I had their introduction today in the bathtub with just a few toilet paper rolls (with an extra hole cut in the center so Bird couldn't be corned in the tube), and it went really well! I dabbed each of there backside above their tails with vanilla so I don't know if that is why it went so swimmingly but they seemed to accept each other right away.

After moving them into the tank together I slowly began adding more toys to the tank, and they've all been sleeping in an egg carton nest for a good majority of the day. There's been a couple small squeaky squabbles inside the carton but I'm sure it's just a case of someone stepping on anothers tail. These squabbles are almost identical to the rare tiny squabbles Mogwai and Mowgli have had in quarantine, so I have found it not very worrying.

I'm going to continue to keep watch on things for their first night all together, but having Mogwai and Mowgli around already seems to be bringing Bird out of her shell and making her happy. Love
SkywalkerSyd
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

Oh, how sweet! I just love how social mice are! Love

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 04 Jul 2017, 9:47 pm

That is wonderful to hear. When I used to have rats, my one rattle girl, Brandy was very afraid & shy. I introduced a younger rattle girl, Cleo, and Brandy became a totally different girl. No longer afraid. Cleo brought Brandy out of her shell. Gosh, I'm tearing up just thinking about my girls. I sure do miss them.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 05 Jul 2017, 10:30 am

excellent news! I love how mice surprise us sometimes Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by SkywalkerSyd Sat 08 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

Thanks for all the support and comments! Love

They've been together for 5 days now and still have the occasional scuffle (no blood though), I know that they're still working out their hierarchy, but I was just wondering as time goes on should I still expect the occasional scuffle/argument?

Rodents rock! wrote:That is wonderful to hear. When I used to have rats, my one rattle girl, Brandy was very afraid & shy. I introduced a younger rattle girl, Cleo, and Brandy became a totally different girl. No longer afraid. Cleo brought Brandy out of her shell. Gosh, I'm tearing up just thinking about my girls. I sure do miss them.

Aw little ratties! I was thinking about adopting some once I get more space in the future as my local SPCA has lots up for adoption. I hear they're basically like little puppies with their loyalty once tamed!
SkywalkerSyd
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 08 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

A lot of mice continue to bicker from time to time, no need to worry about that.  But do have a colony that never fights!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 08 Jul 2017, 7:44 pm

SkywalkerSyd wrote:Thanks for all the support and comments! Love

They've been together for 5 days now and still have the occasional scuffle (no blood though), I know that they're still working out their hierarchy, but I was just wondering as time goes on should I still expect the occasional scuffle/argument?

Rodents rock! wrote:That is wonderful to hear. When I used to have rats, my one rattle girl, Brandy was very afraid & shy. I introduced a younger rattle girl, Cleo, and Brandy became a totally different girl. No longer afraid. Cleo brought Brandy out of her shell. Gosh, I'm tearing up just thinking about my girls. I sure do miss them.

Aw little ratties! I was thinking about adopting some once I get more space in the future as my local SPCA has lots up for adoption. I hear they're basically like little puppies with their loyalty once tamed!

Yes, I always describe rats as tiny dogs. They really are wonderful pets. So much personality and so sweet! They want to be with you all the time!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum