Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay?

4 posters

Go down

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay? Empty How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 06 Jul 2017, 4:30 am

So, when the bunny found a new home, I was left with an almost full bag of timothy hay, and it was a pretty large bag. I really want to give some to the mice, as I know mice love digging, burrowing in, and nesting in hay. However, I know hay is a big carrier of little bugs and parasites so I obviously need to sanitize it really well and kill all of the nasties. Would throwing it in the freezer overnight kill all of the bad bugs, or do I need to do more than that? I obviously can't bake hay, it would catch on fire Laughing .

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay? Empty Re: How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay?

Post by CallaLily Thu 06 Jul 2017, 8:02 am

I think the freezer would be better than nothing.

Honestly I just picked up some hay the other day and didn't even think about it. Oops.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay? Empty Re: How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 07 Jul 2017, 3:26 am

Thank you! I put it in the freezer earlier... How long should it stay in there? I looked it up on hamster forums, since it would be the same whether I was sanitizing it for my mice or my hammy, but everyone has such different opinions. One person said 12 hours, another 24, another 48, another a week, and someone else said a month! The other people in my house want it out of the freezer as soon as possible, because we have a small freezer and now there's not much room for the food Laughing

How to go about sanitizing a large bag of hay? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 07 Jul 2017, 5:23 am

What temp is your freezer? If it's 0°F or below you only need to leave it in 24-48 hours. Otherwise you could put some into a small Ziploc and freeze it. On the old forum someone said she froze things for her pet bugs for 2 weeks. Since no one seems to know for sure how long (or if the bugs actually die or just go to sleep and then wake up again) I'd do at least a week just to feel safe.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 07 Jul 2017, 8:54 am

Wow, ok, thanks! I asked and apparently we don't have a 0 degree or less freezer. No one knows what temp it is exactly, though. My mom said it's ok to leave it in there for a few days, or until there's no room left for it. So, I will leave it in there until I can't anymore. I've been giving them carefully inspected strands of hay from that bag for the past few days Laughing I have just been looking for little black bugs, then if it passes the test, I throw a strand or two in for them, just for little pieces of nesting material. They've been fine so far, but it's kind of ridiculous to inspect each strand if I want to give them a little pile of hay, lol.

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 07 Jul 2017, 4:30 pm

Just an idea... You could also just freeze a little bit at a time before you use it.  That way you won't take up much space and you could leave it in the freezer for a week.  Win win!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum