Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My mouse bit me D:

3 posters

Go down

My mouse bit me D: Empty My mouse bit me D:

Post by ThePrairieNerd Mon 07 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

I got my very first mouse last Friday and I've been working on getting him used to me by laying my hand inside his cage, sometimes with treats. Today after handling him and letting him run around on my bed I got him a baby carrot. He sniffed the carrot, then sniffed my finger then chomped down on the tip of my finger. That actually didn't hurt too bad but my gut reaction was to pull back. I put my hand back in his cage and he climbed up on my hand and bit the lower part of my finger. Hard. He didn't draw blood, but it hurt like crap. Then he took the carrot. Rolling Eyes

I'm afraid I set a precedent letting him get a reaction out of me- what do I do?

Also, did I jump the gun in handling him? Should I leave him alone for a day or two?

Thanks!
ThePrairieNerd
ThePrairieNerd

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

My mouse bit me D: Empty Re: My mouse bit me D:

Post by Mice Are Cute Mon 07 Aug 2017, 8:21 pm

When did you start handling him? Since it has been so little time, I wouldn't worry. He'll come around! Very Happy

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 07 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

don't hand feed him until he is tame. your fingers smell like food, he's getting confused. wash your hands really well, ideally with unscented soap, and try to tame him like that.

when I have new mice, after a taming session, then i'll sprinkle treats in the tank. he'll know where they came from and will still associate them with you but won't mistake your fingers for food.

and it's not too early to begin working with him.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePrairieNerd Tue 08 Aug 2017, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the advice! Giving treats after the fact is helping so far. My fingers thank you. Smile
ThePrairieNerd
ThePrairieNerd

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down