Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on connecting two different cages?

5 posters

Go down

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Empty Thoughts on connecting two different cages?

Post by jess32247 Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:18 pm

My boyfriend and I have been thinking about connecting a critter trail cage onto the girls 40g breeder tank just so they have another place to hang out. We really like the idea of filling the cage with things to climb on like sticks ect. They would probably have another wheel, water bottle, food dish, toys, ect in the cage. We would attach it through the wire lid of the 40g with ct tubes. We both seriously love the idea, he bought the cage and we spent the last hour planning how to set it up haha.

But would something like this work? Would it hurt to try and see how it goes for a while? The six girls get along really well with each other and there's never any issues. We would both be heart broken if this wasn't a good idea, I really want to at least give it a try and see how things work out. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

jess32247

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Empty Re: Thoughts on connecting two different cages?

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 08 Aug 2017, 9:21 am

There is no reason not to try it that I can think of. I know it's recommended to keep mice in a smaller enclosure till they are tame. But after they are tame it's fine to move them to a larger enclosure. So as long as they are tame and all getting along giving them more space is fine. Just keep an eye on them to ensure they continue to get along. Would love to see photos of your girls and the enclosure!!! Mouse Wave
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Empty Re: Thoughts on connecting two different cages?

Post by CallaLily Tue 08 Aug 2017, 9:35 am

The only risk I've read about with groups of female mice in cages connected by tubes is that sometimes it can cause territorial problems. Groups can split which can lead to fighting or one mouse can be bullied and barred from some areas.  Your group sounds like they get along well but it's still something to keep in mind and watch for.

The other downfall to tubes is they can be a pain to clean but should be cleaned often because they don't have great ventilation. I use individual tubes and have also occasionally connected small sections of tubes just as toys within the tank, and my mice really seem to like to pee in them a lot.

From the stickied housing thread:
PLASTIC TRAILS

These trails tend to be the most expensive of all types of housing available. For how much they break, fade, crack, fall apart, loosen, etc the price is hardly worth it. These housing units are made of bright flashy colors to catch your eye, yet are generally not the greatest for mice or your wallet. Additionally, these types of enclosures are rarely big enough for even one mouse, and connecting them can cause issues among female colonies.

The space inside the cage is usually very limited, preventing you from adding many toys, hides, hammocks, etc. These cages have very poor ventilation in the main house as well as all the attachments and can attribute to illnesses. Some attachments have been known to hurt small animals or allow them to escape by breaking apart. The attachments can also be very hard and time consuming to clean, especially the tubes. There are so many plastic pieces to take apart, clean, then reassemble. Cleaning can easily be an all day project.

If you'd like to offer these types of trails, a good alternative to the small cages they come with would be to add them into a tank! Mice deeply enjoy trails and tubes. Mice love to tunnel, therefore they love running through the tubes. Building trails are just as fun for people as they are for the mouse! You can give your mouse a new design with each cleaning, giving them environmental enrichment.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t26-proper-housing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 Tue 08 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

Thanks for the thoughts you both! We ended up not going with a critter trail and instead got a cheap cage from walmart to use. We finished setting it up about 30 min ago and the girls seem to love it already! Only 3 of them have figured it out so far but they've been in it exploring ever since. I got a lot of really cute pictures and videos, I'll try to get them uploaded now haha.

I'll def keep an eye out for aggression/territory issues. We decided against putting food and water in the cage up there because we don't want anyone to "move in" and claim the thing for them self. We are going to work on filling it with toys and hammocks today so hopefully things work out!

jess32247

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 Tue 08 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm

Sorry about the big pictures! Here's the set up right this second, but we're going to add more stuff everyday haha. We both are super happy how it turned out so far eeee<3

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Img_2010

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Img_2011

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Img_2012

Thoughts on connecting two different cages? Img_2013

jess32247

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 08 Aug 2017, 2:19 pm

It's always so much fun to give mice new things to play with. Bouncy  I look forward to seeing the finished result. Your main tank looks like so much fun already. Neat how you used corner shower caddies in there!   I do this with my hermit crabs but never once thought to try it with the mice!  Doh

Be careful with that smaller wheel in the cage, it may hurt their back if it's too small (hard to tell in pics).  Watch to see if they can run on it comfortably without bending their backs. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by jess32247 Tue 08 Aug 2017, 4:10 pm

We both figured we would end up taking out the wheel eventually, we have a feeling it'll either be too small or too loud. It wont be a problem though because we will get a new wheel to put up there if that one doesnt work (':

jess32247

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 08 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm

Your tank and the connected cage looks like so much fun for the girls Bliss I always get so excited when I can add new and fun things to make my Mickey's tank more enriching! I actually ordered a kids toy for Mickey which should arrive Friday. So I will add that to his tank when I clean out his tank this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about it then he will be Applause I keep telling him I ordered a fun new toy for him and it will arrive soon! So once I get it and set it up in his tank, I will post photos!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDirewolfMice Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:03 am

Hi!! I’m in love with your set up. I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to find some way to give my three girls more space than their 10 gallon, but every cage I find has bars too far apart and I’m worried about the critter trail being too easy for them to escape. How is yours working for you? How did you connect the tunnel to the tank screen?

TheDirewolfMice

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 25 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

TheDirewolfMice wrote:Hi!! I’m in love with your set up. I’ve been driving myself crazy trying to find some way to give my three girls more space than their 10 gallon, but every cage I find has bars too far apart and I’m worried about the critter trail being too easy for them to escape. How is yours working for you? How did you connect the tunnel to the tank screen?

You could always move them to a 20 gallon long tank and fill it with lots of fun things Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDirewolfMice Mon 25 Sep 2017, 9:17 am

I’ve thought about that, but my most hyper girl loves to climb and I’ve zip tied a ton of fun things to the tank screen, but I’d love to be able to do more. I’m also not able to put a water bottle in their tank either, so I’ve been using a small bowl that they fill with bedding every day, which means daily water refills, so I’d love a cage that I could hook up a bottle too. Plus I’m in a dorm and I’m working with limited floor space, so it’d be easier to go up than out Wink

TheDirewolfMice

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 25 Sep 2017, 9:38 am

Consider a bin cage @TheDirewolfMice. You can get the size you want and then make it however you like. I added this link to the Proper Housing thread, it has fantastic ideas!
https://hammyhappenings.wordpress.com/diy-hamster-cage-bin-cage/

I saw someone else use playpen panels (from something like this: Prevue Small Animal Playpen to add bars. Another great idea if you don't have a spare cage to take apart.

They're also super light so you don't have to worry about moving/cleaning.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down