Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse Questions

3 posters

Go down

Mouse Questions  Empty Mouse Questions

Post by CocoCappuccino Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:29 pm

When I have enough money I am wanting a trio of female mice, but I have some questions.

1.) How much of a vet fund will I need for all three of them?
2.) If one of them gets sick, what do I need to do?
3.) How do I change my profile picture?
4.) Are you able to upload pictures in your signature? I use Flickr to upload pictures.
5.) How many times should I give mice fruits/veggies? I know hamsters are able to have them daily.
6.) Can I use soy paint to paint mouse toys? It is hamster-safe, but I'm afraid it might cause allergies.
7.) Can I use a Carolina Storm Express wheel for mice? What wheel do you use, I do not use mesh/barred wheels of any kind.
8.) Do mice use the same wheel at once, or do they need seperate wheels? (do they need separate food dishes and water bottles?)

My boys: Mikey (corn snake), Jack and Jake (terrier dogs), Khorii (Betta fish)

Extra Pets: Chickens and ducks, Glo fish  

Other forums I'm active on: Hamster Hideout

Mouse Questions  Dragon11
Mouse Questions  Fur10
Mouse Questions  Ham10
CocoCappuccino
CocoCappuccino

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Mouse Questions  Empty Re: Mouse Questions

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:03 pm

1.) How much of a vet fund will I need for all three of them? More is always better. I'd start with enough for an exam or two, with basic medicine. It really depends on what your vet charges. Then keep adding more whenever you have extra money.
2.) If one of them gets sick, what do I need to do?Not sure what you mean by this..? There really is nothing you can do except keep her comfortable until it's time to go to the vet.
3.) How do I change my profile picture? Click the thing on the top right corner that says "Welcome, (your name)", then click "edit profile", and select "avatar".
4.) Are you able to upload pictures in your signature? I use Flickr to upload pictures. Yes, there is a thing for uploading pictures that looks like this: Mouse Questions  Fiovje11

5.) How many times should I give mice fruits/veggies? I know hamsters are able to have them daily. Once or twice a week
6.) Can I use soy paint to paint mouse toys? It is hamster-safe, but I'm afraid it might cause allergies. I'm really not sure on this one, I'd wait for another person to answer before painting anything.
7.) Can I use a Carolina Storm Express wheel for mice? What wheel do you use, I do not use mesh/barred wheels of any kind. From what I understand, those wheels are very large. I'm not sure a tiny 25 gram mouse could use one of those. I recommend an 8 inch mesh wheel or a 6.5 inch saucer wheel
8.) Do mice use the same wheel at once, or do they need seperate wheels? (do they need separate food dishes and water bottles?) They do not need more than one wheel, though you can provide two if you'd like. Only one water bottle and one food dish is necessary.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoCappuccino Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:20 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:1.) How much of a vet fund will I need for all three of them? More is always better. I'd start with enough for an exam or two, with basic medicine. It really depends on what your vet charges. Then keep adding more whenever you have extra money.
2.) If one of them gets sick, what do I need to do?Not sure what you mean by this..? There really is nothing you can do except keep her comfortable until it's time to go to the vet.
3.) How do I change my profile picture? Click the thing on the top right corner that says "Welcome, (your name)", then click "edit profile", and select "avatar".
4.) Are you able to upload pictures in your signature? I use Flickr to upload pictures. Yes, there is a thing for uploading pictures that looks like this: Mouse Questions  Fiovje11

5.) How many times should I give mice fruits/veggies? I know hamsters are able to have them daily. Once or twice a week
6.) Can I use soy paint to paint mouse toys? It is hamster-safe, but I'm afraid it might cause allergies. I'm really not sure on this one, I'd wait for another person to answer before painting anything.
7.) Can I use a Carolina Storm Express wheel for mice? What wheel do you use, I do not use mesh/barred wheels of any kind. From what I understand, those wheels are very large. I'm not sure a tiny 25 gram mouse could use one of those. I recommend an 8 inch mesh wheel or a 6.5 inch saucer wheel
8.) Do mice use the same wheel at once, or do they need seperate wheels? (do they need separate food dishes and water bottles?) They do not need more than one wheel, though you can provide two if you'd like. Only one water bottle and one food dish is necessary.

Thanks for the answers, and what I meant by a vet fund I was wondering about a possible money estimate. (For ex. 350-400 dollars) And when they get sick, I meant like what if one gets something contagious, do I seperate them? Also, for mesh wheels, are you sure that won't hurt their feet? Or get their feet/tails stuck? I don't know if mice can get Bumblefoot. I am fine with getting a saucer wheel, though. I heard that a Robo can use a Carolina wheel, but I might just stick with a saucer. Smile Very Happy

My boys: Mikey (corn snake), Jack and Jake (terrier dogs), Khorii (Betta fish)

Extra Pets: Chickens and ducks, Glo fish  

Other forums I'm active on: Hamster Hideout

Mouse Questions  Dragon11
Mouse Questions  Fur10
Mouse Questions  Ham10
CocoCappuccino
CocoCappuccino

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:27 pm

I can't really give an estimate on the vet fund, since I don't know how much your vet costs. Some vets are very costly, and some are not. It all depends on how the prices are near you. You would not need to separate them. The stress from separation doesn't help the sick mouse, and whatever the sick mouse has, the other mice in the cage would already have it too. You just have to hope that the other mice have strong enough immune systems to fight it. I personally have never had any issues with other mice getting sick, if one mouse in the group is sick.

Mice are not hamsters, they are very different. A mesh wheel is no more dangerous than any other average wheel for a mouse. Mice do not get bumblefoot. Many long-time mouse owners have used mesh wheels with no issues what so ever. Mesh wheels are a favorite for my mice Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:28 pm

1.) How much of a vet fund will I need for all three of them?
I agree with @AnonymousMouseOwner on this. Prices can vary by location, so call around to get an idea what vets in your area charge and go from there.

2.) If one of them gets sick, what do I need to do?
Ditto. Make an appointment with your vet.

3.) How do I change my profile picture?
4.) Are you able to upload pictures in your signature? I use Flickr to upload pictures.
To add to @AnonymousMouseOwner answer, here's what the rules say:
[Quote]Avatars and Signatures
Avatars and signatures may not contain content considered offensive/disturbing (eg, animals eating mice). Avatars should be no bigger than 200 pixels square. Signature pictures/banners should be no more than 150px high and 800px wide. Violation of this rule will result in your avatar and/or signature being deleted.9/quote]
Forum Rules

5.) How many times should I give mice fruits/veggies? I know hamsters are able to have them daily.
At least twice a week is recommended but you could give them a small amount daily of you wanted to. Just work up to it slowly and remember a good seed mix should be the bulk of their daily diet.

6.) Can I use soy paint to paint mouse toys? It is hamster-safe, but I'm afraid it might cause allergies.
Yes, soy based paints are safe. Or vegetable based food coloring.

7.) Can I use a Carolina Storm Express wheel for mice? What wheel do you use, I do not use mesh/barred wheels of any kind.
I'm sure you could, if they can turn it. But I think they're pretty big?  I've never had one so I'm not sure. I've used a 6.5 inch Silent spinner before, though some larger mice might be a little too big for them.  Now I use medium sized flying saucers and 8 or 9 inch (I can't remember exactly atm) mesh wheels. There's a thread all about wheels here.

8.) Do mice use the same wheel at once, or do they need seperate wheels? (do they need separate food dishes and water bottles?)
One wheel is fine for a group of three. They'll often run together. But I do like to offer two, usually a mesh wheel and a flying saucer.  One food dish and one water bottle is fine for three too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down