Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new mouse owner-- several questions!!

4 posters

Go down

new mouse owner-- several questions!! Empty new mouse owner-- several questions!!

Post by LazuliesMice Wed 12 Jul 2017, 1:23 pm

So I just got 3 mice girlies, (they're so tiny & cute I love them) But one of them has been having soft green poo, is she okay? & will it affect my other girls?? (I'm sure it;s only one, & other than that she's 100% ok)

My family is also telling me that they smell awful, I can't smell them at all (Probably because I'm used to it) but I need to make them smell less,, I share my room with one of my sisters and she's saying that she can't even be in here. She has a more sensitive nose than I do, so I absolutely need to figure this out. I've heard about putting a little bit of vanilla in their water, to make their pee not smell so bad, so I'm planning on getting some next time I go out. (I've also heard about putting baking soda under the bedding, but mice have sensitive lungs, so I won't do that)

I also have a syrian hamster in my room, but she doesn't smell bad. Shes extremely clean, I basically just spot clean her cage and she's good.
With my girls though, I've had to clean their cage DAILY since I got them, because my family is complaining about the smell. & I mean completely clean, replacing all the bedding, cleaning the toys and replacing their food. I can't continue to clean it every day because the bedding I use isn't cheap. Another problem is that my room STILL smells, even after I thoroughly clean their cage!

Here's a few  pictures of their setup
new mouse owner-- several questions!! Tumblr_oszpfwxXgO1vqsreho1_1280
new mouse owner-- several questions!! Tumblr_oszpfwxXgO1vqsreho2_1280
new mouse owner-- several questions!! Tumblr_oszpfwxXgO1vqsreho3_1280

They actually share a detolf cage with my hamster,, (I have it set up so I'm 100% confident no one can get out or in, and they can;t see or smell each other))

WHY does my room still smell? I cleaned both cages out completely yesterday, and today it smells again. Also I'm %100 open to advice for my girls, I think they have enough space, I'm making more DIY toys, constantly (for both my hamster and my mice babies) so also feel free to tell me what is/ isnt ok about their cage
LazuliesMice
LazuliesMice

Worried

Back to top Go down

new mouse owner-- several questions!! Empty Re: new mouse owner-- several questions!!

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Jul 2017, 1:42 pm

What is the length x width of their area?

New mice tend to have what's known as "pet shop funk." Basically they may be extra stinky for the first few weeks because of stress and poor diet at the store. Once they're switched to a good food and settle in, it usually gets better. This is probably what's up with your one girl's poo too.

Daily full cleans may actually be making things worse. Do spot clean daily, removing any wet bedding, and wash the wheel frequently (what I find to usually be the culprit when the mouse tank smells soon after cleaning). I personally wouldn't add anything to their water but I've heard using filtered water can help some with smell. Deepening the bedding some might help as well. And/or you could mix in a little hay (Ive found this to help some) or other members have had success with a layer of corn cob bedding under the paper based bedding. If you can invest in an air purifier for your room it may help.

Hopefully the smell will get better. Good luck!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

new mouse owner-- several questions!! Empty Re: new mouse owner-- several questions!!

Post by LazuliesMice Wed 12 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

CallaLily wrote:What is the length x width of their area?

New mice tend to have what's known as "pet shop funk." Basically they may be extra stinky for the first few weeks because of stress and poor diet at the store. Once they're switched to a good food and settle in, it usually gets better. This is probably what's up with your one girl's poo too.

Daily full cleans may actually be making things worse. Do spot clean daily, removing any wet bedding, and wash the wheel frequently  (what I find to usually be the culprit when the mouse tank smells soon after cleaning).  I personally wouldn't add anything to their water but I've heard using filtered water can help some with smell.  Deepening the bedding some might help as well.  And/or you could mix in a little hay (Ive found this to help some) or other members have had success with a layer of corn cob bedding under the paper based bedding.  If you can invest in an air purifier for your room it may help.

Hopefully the smell will get better. Good luck!

Thanks for replying, first of all!! I was a bit scared nobody would Shocked

Their space is 15" x 16", (240 sq inches), I'm not sure what the minimum requirement for 3 mice is...
As for food, what brand would you recommend? do you know what pf protein/ fat/ fiber they need, or where I can find that?
LazuliesMice
LazuliesMice

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

No problem, @LazuliesMice. Always happy to help where I can. Smile

Minimum for a group of 3 girls OR 1 boy is 200 square inches, so that's good.

Diet info is here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by LazuliesMice Wed 12 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm

@Callalily
Thanks for the link!! I've been feeding them my hamster food, I was planning on getting them mouse food, but now that I know it isn't suitable for them, I'll be getting them something different! Very Happy

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

Give it a couple weeks. Callalily already covered everything, so I don't have anything to add other than hang in there! Follow the suggestions above, and the smell will decrease and everyone will get more used to it.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 12 Jul 2017, 9:18 pm

I feed the Vitakraft Vitasmart Parakeet food as the main diet and I use bottled spring water. I also give my mouse Organic 'Cheerios' as a treat, a little bit of Vitakraft hamster food, and dog biscuits (good for wearing down their teeth). I agree with CallaLily, that daily complete cleanings is probably making it worse. But cleaning the wheel daily will help.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down