Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aspen bedding is gross

+8
Fukari
CinnamonPearl
torisbabies
Nijimi にじみ
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
Mice Are Cute
CallaLily
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aspen bedding is gross Empty Aspen bedding is gross

Post by CallaLily Sun 17 Sep 2017, 12:46 pm

I know it's often recommended to avoid it to stay on the safe side because of possible allergies, but I recently picked up a big bag to try again and save some money. I haven't used it in a few years because of reactions to it from some of the humans in the house.  But even without taking that into consideration, I won't be picking it up again...

I know many feel it's great for odor control --and I thought the same thing at first-- but when the week was up and I went in to clean, it was  nasty. Reminded me of the stinky (yet totally adorable please-don't-kill-me-bunny-people) rabbit mess. Ick. How did I ever use this stuff before. Sick

I didn't use it for long with mice back then, but I had used it for other pets for some time.  I dont remember it being so stinky.  Anyway... just my experience this time and thought I'd share.  I'll be sticking to paper bedding from now on (unless I can ever get my hands on hemp or flax to try).

CallaLily

Festive

appalachianmousery likes this post

Back to top Go down

Aspen bedding is gross Empty Re: Aspen bedding is gross

Post by Mice Are Cute Sun 17 Sep 2017, 1:46 pm

Yes! Aspen is so terrible smelling! Since I changed Biggy and Grayson to paper bedding, my nose has gotten a break. Unfortunately, I still have to put up with it, because of the chickens! Laughing

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

Really? I used aspen for mice when I was newer to small pet care. Actually, I used pine first, before aspen, so even worse. I don't remember it being any worse than paper bedding in terms of cleanup, but maybe I've forgotten. I've wanted to try it with my hammy, since it's fine for hamsters, but maybe I better not, lol.

I know what you mean about the rabbit mess, hahaha, when I was caring for that rabbit for a while, there was a tray under the cage to catch the poo/pee lol, and there was no litter in it. It was really gross, I had to carry it across the yard and dump it in the trash can, then spray it off with the hose Sick I did not know rabbits could be so smelly.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 17 Sep 2017, 4:11 pm

I tried aspen again a while ago, when my sweet HoneyBee was still around. I actually liked it, but I bet its quality can vary by the brand.

I stopped using it because one day, HoneyBee climbed onto my hand and was totally bald on her underside! Oops. Poor girly.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 28 Oct 2017, 11:10 pm

I buy like a 50 lit. bag of aspen and I have no problem? It's half my height (5'3"). I use the so phresh brand, which I then let air out because the bag isn't resealable anyway. It doesn't smell like much given that I leave it in my tiny closet that I don't use. I use 1.5-2 inches of aspen at the bottom then half an inch of pretty care fresh bedding. I also put botanical hay in their cage, not too much because they make amazing nests with all this material. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 29 Oct 2017, 8:11 am

Just my experience with it. I know many, especially in the hamster community, love it. I also picked up a HUGE bag of So Phresh aspen. I still have some left that I mix with paper bedding in the hamster bin and for the snake. It's not as bad with them but I don't plan on buying a new bag when I run out.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by torisbabies Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:01 pm

I use aspen, and the odor control for me is much better than paper bedding. I guess it's just differences in the brand you get.
torisbabies
torisbabies

Aquarius Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 07 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

Interesting! I've never used aspen, I always prefer paper products to wood. But I also find it strange that so many people have smell issues with rabbit mess. The only smell I ever get from my bunny Clover is the smell of hay! He smells even less than the mice. I just use yesterday's news litter in his litter tray, and it covers up all the smell completely.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 07 Feb 2018, 4:41 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:But I also find it strange that so many people have smell issues with rabbit mess. The only smell I ever get from my bunny Clover is the smell of hay! He smells even less than the mice.

I'm mostly going by that time I had one of my MIL's bunnies here because he was sick, she had to leave town, and it was just easier to give him all the extra attention he needed here (even with having to still run over to her house to care for everybody else). As soon as he would wee or poo it was obvious right away because of the smell. I dont remember her other bunnies being quite as stinky so maybe it was just from him being sick.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Fukari Tue 10 Apr 2018, 5:26 pm

In all, aspen is gross. I used to use it when I had nothing else available, and even still regret it. My mouse wasn't fond of the aspen either, he kind of even despised it.
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by JuniperBerry55 Tue 10 Apr 2018, 9:47 pm

I don't mind aspen, as my mice love to burrow in it, however now that I use paper pellet cat litter is smells SO much better!

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Tue 10 Apr 2018, 11:06 pm

interesting, i personally have never had any problem with aspen, the smell doesn't really bother me. i find aspen to have a better odour control than paper bedding and my mice seem to prefer it.

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fukari Wed 11 Apr 2018, 8:27 pm

I don't have a problem with aspen smelling bad, Its just that my mice didn't like it so much. I tested it on my mouse once and he immediately hated it. But that's only my mouse. It might have a different effect on everyone else's.
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydream Tue 22 May 2018, 9:30 pm

I use aspen for my quails, but I'm worried about it being too pokey/splintery for mice even though they're soft shavings. The aspen only starts smelling bad after a week or so for the quails, and that's an indicator of when I need to clean out the enclosure Razz

Orbit, Flopsy & Mopsy the guinea pigs
Neo & Pring the king quails
and their quail chicks Bit, Byte, & Megabyte
Daydream
Daydream
Jr Member
Jr Member

Leo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 23 May 2018, 9:35 am

Yeah the kind I got was kind of pokey but there are probably finer, softer brands out there. I actually picked up another bag recently for the gerbils to try to save a little money by mixing it in with paper based. The brand I find here is So Phresh. Great big bag that costs less than the biggest bag of clean & cozy or carefresh that’s in store here.

I’m sure it doesn’t help that I don’t like the smell of aspen straight out of the bag either, but after that week with the mice on it, it was really awful (but not super obvious until I got in there and started moving it around). I never go longer than 7-10 days for full cleans for mice. I find they just pee too much to go longer. The only time I went longer was when I had one very neat girl by herself in a 40 breeder. She kept it so neat I was able to just replace one side every week and do full cleans every other (using paper based at that time).

My gerbils on the other hand hardly smell at all so I’m finding they can go longer between full cleans. Thank goodness because they require such deep bedding. Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next