Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treating not-quite-diarrhea?

3 posters

Go down

Treating not-quite-diarrhea? Empty Treating not-quite-diarrhea?

Post by Teramis Fri 29 Sep 2017, 7:52 pm

Hi, all,
So, my little Giggy-Tooter (yes, that's two names mooshed into one) has sort of loose bowels. Not diarrhea, exactly, but lighter in color than normal and of a paste-like consistency.
This is very recent. I just noticed it today, although it might have been going on for a few days. I'm not sure.

I don't think she has a specific illness - at least, she hasn't shown any signs other than the change in feces consistency, and hasn't been exposed to anything new or eaten anything unusual. She does get greens in her diet - lettuce, kale, peas now and then - but hasn't been eating anything like that to excess.

I'm going to keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't exhibit other signs of illness. But for now my question is, can anyone suggest things I can feed her that will help firm up her stool? Should I put her on a bland diet, like rice and oatmeal, for a while until her digestive tract normalizes? Or, has anyone had experience with this, and if so, did this clear up on its own?

The only time I've seen this in the past was when Giggy-Tooter and her sister Dottie got wet-tail from my hamster Fred, which was cured with a course of trimethoprim sulfa (months ago). I have that drug on hand if it becomes necessary, but in the meanwhile, I am concerned simply to ease her tummy and bowels.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
-Teramis

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Treating not-quite-diarrhea? Empty Re: Treating not-quite-diarrhea?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 29 Sep 2017, 8:20 pm

What do you currently feed? Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Sat 30 Sep 2017, 1:50 am

Their basic food is Browne's Tropical Carnival, mixed with rolled oats and some millet and other seeds and some flax (3:1:1 Browne's/oats/seed mix). She and the other girls haven't historically had any probs with their regular feed.

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 30 Sep 2017, 5:54 pm

This happens to my floofs on occasion, I think they are just like us.... sometimes things go a little wonky from time to time for no good reason. It might be a tiny germ on the fresh greens, something like that. I always go straight to the oatmeal and things seem to get back to normal in a couple days.

Good luck with your toot!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Sun 01 Oct 2017, 11:01 am

Thanks for sharing that observation. That makes sense. The only times I've seen loose stools in the past was when someone was getting sick, or was already ill, so of course I worry about this symptom. Hopefully this will clear up on it's own though. Oatmeal it will be for a while!

Teramis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down