Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I separate a mouse with diarrhea?

2 posters

Go down

Should I separate a mouse with diarrhea? Empty Should I separate a mouse with diarrhea?

Post by M O U S E Sun 27 Mar 2022, 3:04 pm

Hello!
I just got two new mice today. I thought the black one wasn't looking so well at the pet store because she wasn't as active and looked like she was breathing a little too heavy and was a little hunched (I actually thought she may have just been old), but the employee said she was okay (and she was looking better when the lady was looking at her) and that they're both about two months old. Once I got home, I saw what seems to be diarrhea in the box they came in. She's definitely hunching too.
I've already read through the other stuff about diarrhea (benebac, yogurt and oatmeal, plain oats, and pedialyte). Can someone explain the yogurt and oatmeal thing? Also, should I separate her from the other mouse in case it spreads?

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Should I separate a mouse with diarrhea? Empty Re: Should I separate a mouse with diarrhea?

Post by cerial Sun 27 Mar 2022, 11:06 pm

I actually don't separate mine. If they have a major issue it is unlikely to get better  if it doesn't after a few days.

The best thing you can do is introduce them early while ongoing treatment to make them feel better. Most cases simply introducing them may make them happy/curious and they will overcome the sickness.

Here is how I introduce my mice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkI9w3cJ_Bw

This is followed by watching them interact with the old mice in a dirty cage. You may have a bit of curious butt pulling. But generally they all get along and will be sleeping together within a few days.

You are changing a lot of things from what the pet store had and it will take a few days for them to adjust. I did have one mouse I had to return/exchange who simply was ill from the store and was not getting better after several days. But that is one out of around 30+ mice. I lost 4 to tumors(20+ months), 2 to respiratory(1 early one at 20+ months), and 4 to old age(30+ months).
Pet store mice come with lots of health issues. They are very tumor prone and some have respiratory issues as babies. I am not going to tell you not to treat them the best you can. But I am also not going to expect you to spend several hundred in vet bills on a $10 pet store mouse. That may sound harsh. But pet store mice are more prone to issues then mice from a breeder or wild mice. If the mouse is not better within a few days I would seriously consider taking it back and exchanging it for a new mouse.

cerial

Back to top Go down