Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please!

+4
CallaLily
stephlisa
Peachy
danistarr24
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please!

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 19 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm

Awww, so sorry about your kitty. Glad you have little Oliver! My mouse, Mickey, is just the sweetest little man. He was grooming my hand yesterday, I love when he does that as it makes me feel loved. Love Amazing how much joy a little rodent can bring.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please! - Page 2 Empty Re: Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please!

Post by danistarr24 Sat 21 Oct 2017, 3:14 am

They really can!

So another question. Is it normal to never see him? I took him out yesterday around 9pm, but I had to lift him up in his cardboard box, bring him into the bathroom, and eventually he crawled out onto my hand. I had him out for 10 minutes or so, just running around on my lap and arms (I have a studio apartment and a dog, so it makes play time a little bit difficult), which he was fine with. I put him back in his cage, and he went back inside his den. It is now 1am, and I saw him inside the cardboard tube (that is attached to his cardboard box), but he isn't running around the tank. I only have one light on, very dim, in the opposite corner of the room, so it is practically dark. Is that normal? I know mice are nocturnal, but I'm up until 10-11pm, if not later, and no mouse. He hasn't tried the wheel yet from what I can tell.

danistarr24

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Sat 21 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

Mice are actually crepuscular so in the wild you'll see them more at dawn and dusk. But yes, its quite normal for them to not be seen. My boys spend the day sleeping with ocassional forays out for food or water and then straight to bed. Its not till the evening they come alive for a couple of hours and again in the morning.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by danistarr24 Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:15 pm

Hi everyone! Is it normal for mice not to use wheels? I have tried 4 different wheels (a 6.5" silent spinner, a too small and the right size flying saucer spinners, and an 8" mesh wheel) and he doesn't use them. He builds tunnels under them, but won't run on them. I now just put the 8" mesh one in there, because he likes to climb on top and on the sides of it.

Also, here are some updated photos!

danistarr24

Back to top Go down

Post by danistarr24 Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:17 pm

Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please! - Page 2 NprPoXN
That one is from over a month ago, when I was still learning how to fill up her cage more.

Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please! - Page 2 8UMfUXq
Rescued baby mouse in classroom! Help please! - Page 2 I1UCQtb
These are what her cage is like currently.

danistarr24

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 18 Dec 2017, 3:16 pm

Some mice don't like wheels as much as others.I still provide one if it isn't getting used, just in case, but its not weird really, no. Mice have diverse interests, much like people.

He's cute. Heart

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Wed 20 Dec 2017, 2:24 pm

danistarr24 wrote:
AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:The medium saucer wheel is best, yes. He should grow into it, he's just a baby right now! 6.5 is the minimum size, as in the smallest recommended. 7-8 inches is better Smile

I'm not sure about the suction cup idea, hopefully someone else can come along and let you know if it's safe or not. But about not cluttering the cage, I suggest checking out our housing pictures thread for an idea of how a setup should look. Mice love cluttered cages, especially young, active mice! They love climbing, chewing things up, and hiding in small, tight spaces. They like to have their cage packed with toys and activities to do.

He's so cute! I've been reading this thread, just haven't replied yet. It's so great that you saved him and gave him such a good home! Very Happy

Oh goody, the medium one was this beautiful aqua green color! The suction cups wouldn't be sticking up, I'd get ones that don't protrude into mouse chewing territory. I was looking at some of the housing photos, a lot of neat ideas. Do mice like to have some empty floor space for scampering though? I do plan to add a lot more toys. This is more of just a temporary set up, so it is more than I'd like.

Any idea what cages these panels are from? I really like this idea (excluding how barren the cage is. The mesh panels would be great to hang and attach things to!).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXoZN1kmr-s

I wasn't  planning on ever having a mouse, but I'm happy I have him now <3 Smile

Just wanted to let you know that I think those panels are from a bird cage of some sort- I have one in my girls' bin that I got from my roommates, the rest are in use by their birds!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2