Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mesh or solid?

+2
AnonymousMouseOwner
FuzzyMouse
6 posters

Go down

Mesh or solid? Empty Mesh or solid?

Post by FuzzyMouse Sun 22 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

I know most people on here say that mesh is the best type of wheel, but could you list pros and cons of both. Also I would consider a flying saucer a solid wheel. I have noticed on here like I said most people argue that mesh is safe, while on the few youtube mouse care channels argue that solid is more safe and better. I have also noticed through all the people who argue that mesh is bad also have hamsters, and mesh is very bad for hamsters so they could also associate that with mice. The people who I have noticed that don't recommend mesh are Peachy pet paradise, Anna's animals, and I noticed OnceUponAPig uses only solid wheels too. So I just wanted you all to reply with possibly a pros and cons list or just answer whether solid or mesh wheels are better. Also would solid be safer? I know bared wheels and small wheels are unsafe no matter what. Thanks for the help!
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Mesh or solid? Empty Re: Mesh or solid?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 22 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

Mesh wheels are safe, yes. This question has been asked many times, and the answer is that mesh wheels are just as safe as a solid wheel. There is a risk with any wheel, freak accidents do happen, no matter if the wheel is solid or mesh.

I wouldn't use only Youtube for research. While there are some Youtubers with reliable informational videos, there are many, many out there that don't give out reliable information. I don't want to be rude and name names, but there are some Youtubers that make videos about mice, and their information isn't the most reliable. Many Youtubers seem to think hamsters and mice should receive the same care, when they simply shouldn't. Hamsters and mice are completely different species, with different needs. For example, a hamster needs a large, open environment to freely run around in, while a mouse would likely be uncomfortable in this type of environment. Another example, most hamsters shouldn't live together, while female mice MUST live together. Mesh wheels are just another one of those examples, hamsters can't have them but mice can.

Hope that makes sense... They really are both equal in safety in my opinion. Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by FuzzyMouse Sun 22 Oct 2017, 4:56 pm

Alos I forgot to ask, are their nails/toes able to get hurt or stuck while using mesh?
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 22 Oct 2017, 5:05 pm

Here's a picture of one of my mice on mesh, you can see it definitely isn't small enough for their toes to get stuck Smile
Mesh or solid? Img_8624

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Sun 22 Oct 2017, 5:06 pm

I'm not sure about this, but because mice don't run flat footed, they 'curl' their toes around the mesh bars to hold on, but in doing this I think there is also a possibility that their nails could get stuck on the bars and injured. However, the risk of this happening is very low and shouldn't be too major of a concern. Just make sure to keep the nails from growing too long and you should probably be good. Smile
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 22 Oct 2017, 5:56 pm

This forum's predecessor was around for a decade, and mesh wheels were always deemed safe there. Owners who had had mice for 20+ years (individually or collectively, take your pick) used and recommended mesh wheels for mice.

The white piece and colored piece on Silent Spinners can become loose from each other and trap toes and tails. This is common after they've been used for a while. Mice can fly off and injure themselves on surrounding toys when they run on flying saucer wheels and comfort-type wheels. The enclosed Crittertrail wheels are just all around disastrous.

Mesh wheels have gaps that toes/tails are very unlikely to get caught on and the sidebars could hit a mouse trying to get off. Even if that happened, the worst it would be is a bonked little head. The supporting bars that used to trap mice like scissors don't exist in modern wheels. Check out these pictures:
The first is very unsafe. The "scissor" thing I mentioned above... mice trying to get off get caught between a sidebar and the supporting bar. Modern support bars are arched to the back of the wheel so this can't happen, like in the second picture.
Mesh or solid? 25696584214_290ccecfd8_t
Mesh or solid? 25698711273_ae5f70639e_m

And after using mesh wheels for over seven years, I can say they usually slow down for each other to get off. All wheels have an injury risk. Not just the mesh wheels. There's no way to get around it.

I like to offer the girls a mesh wheel because it's easier for them to run together. They can hold on just in case one of them runs faster/slower than the other (and then they don't risk falling/flying off). I like to offer boys mesh wheels because they like to spin themselves. They'll all run on any wheel, but some do have preferences. It'd be best to decide what your comfortable with and then let your mice choose what they have the most fun with.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 22 Oct 2017, 6:33 pm

Everything @AnonymousMouseOwner and @Peachy said is pretty much what I would have said. So ditto. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Mon 23 Oct 2017, 1:55 am

I agree with everything said above but I also wanted to had that sometimes it isn't just safety concerns but flying saucers are pretty big (particularly in a 10gal size cage) and take up a fair amount of space whereas mesh wheels have a smaller footprint. You can make platforms for them, but given how little my previous mouse and my current boys used it, I decided the space was better used with climbing toys.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down