Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Common behavior for asserting dominance?

2 posters

Go down

Common behavior for asserting dominance? Empty Common behavior for asserting dominance?

Post by antant26 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:20 pm

Everything was going smoothly when I gradually introduced my feeder mouse Weasel to the lab Angela, but recently I've been hearing little occasional squeaks in the middle of the night. When I'd get up to see what it was, they seemed to be doing fine. But just today, I realized who was squeaking, and why. Weasel was getting behind Angela and was humping her, and I want to know how to make it stop. They get along fine otherwise, and Angela doesn't seem to get very hurt, but it does make her uncomfortable, which is why she squeaks. Is Weasel trying to assert dominance over her? Recently I tried adding a wheel to the cage, and Weasel was such a hog that Angela didn't even step foot in it. I'm planning to get a twelve inch wheel that they can run on together, so Angela doesn't feel left out. When Weasel came to me, she was a lone female, so that might be a reason for this odd behavior. And yes, I am very confident that Weasel is female. I made a post once for a sure confirmation a few months ago. Any help handling this situation? Should they be separated? They do still sleep together and interact quite peacefully, this is the only thing I'm particularly worried about them behavior-wise.

Thanks for the help everyone!

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Common behavior for asserting dominance? Empty Re: Common behavior for asserting dominance?

Post by Peachy Thu 26 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm

Humping and squeaking is a normal part of working out hierarchies and a normal part of some females living together. Every now and then a previous colony of my girls would get out of whack, but as long as everyone is happy and not ostracized, you don't have to worry or try to make it stop. Trying to interfere could actually frustrate them and make it take longer to settle down. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Common behavior for asserting dominance? Empty Re: Common behavior for asserting dominance?

Post by antant26 Fri 27 Oct 2017, 11:13 am

That's quite a relief! Thanks for letting me know. Smile

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down