Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recurring Biting

2 posters

Go down

Recurring Biting Empty Recurring Biting

Post by ReedBubbles Sun 05 Nov 2017, 9:02 am

Hey, so my partner has a mouse named Friday that they recently received from a friend. We live in college dorms and about a week after this friend got Friday he decided he couldn't stand the smell and so my partner took them, I think he was already an adult when the friend got him so he's at least a month or two old now.
Anyways, I've been spending a lot of time sitting near the cage, giving him pieces of toilet paper and occasionally little rice crispies, and putting my hand in the cage and resting it there. When I do that he will usually run up and sit on my hand, and check it out, but still doesn't like it much if I move, were making progress.
The issue though is that while he's on my hand he will sometimes nibble. Usually his ears are up and he's not running away, but he will just nibble here and there. If he noticed my finger tips though, he nibbles a bit, then harder, and if I don't do anything he keeps chewing and pulling until he draws blood. He was also nibbling on some dead skin on my hand from a blister, but that didn't hurt. (Also yes, I wash my hands really thouroughly with un scented soap before handling him). How do I discourage this behavior without making him scared of me? I've heard pulling your hand back or lightly pushing on him isn't helpful...

ReedBubbles

Back to top Go down

Recurring Biting Empty Re: Recurring Biting

Post by scaredymouse Sun 05 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

Lol, they love chewing on cuticles and dry skin!  So, the little guy just has a bad habit you can fix.  First thing, don't hand feed him until this problem has been fully corrected.  so, when he starts to nibble, gently blow on him.  It doesn't hurt him but they hate it.  If you consistently disciplibe him, he'll get the message.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down