Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BITING ADVICE

3 posters

Go down

BITING ADVICE Empty BITING ADVICE

Post by chaosplanet Fri 13 Nov 2020, 1:40 pm

Hi guys so I just got a new male mouse yesterday and he seems to like to nibble and bite at my hand when I put it in his cage. He doesn't run from my hand, he runs up to my hand which I thought was a good sign but he seems to just what to bite it. Is this him being territorial or just him chewing on whatever? Also how can I train this out of him to make taming a more enjoyable process for the both of us?

Thanks! Confused

chaosplanet

Back to top Go down

BITING ADVICE Empty Re: BITING ADVICE

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Fri 13 Nov 2020, 1:58 pm

Here are a few ways:

I personally have used the squeak method with great results but your mouse seems to be more aggressive with the nipping than those that I have cared for.

Squeak Method: mice squeak loudly to convey they are in pain or in fear. Mice often squeak when one hurts the other to get them to back off. Squeaking every time your mouse nips you can get them to understand that what they are doing hurts you and that you are ‘like them.’
(And I can say form experience that making the squeak noise is kind of embarrassing. I am very glad that I only really had to do it when I was home alone xD)
Bitter Taste: spraying your hands with ‘bitter apple spray’ is a method that people usually use with furniture and rabbits to get them to stop chewing it. But it could also work for your hand. Basically the mouse gets a mouth if bitter apple when they nip and they learn not to do it again. 
However I have personally not done this method so I don’t know how effective it is.
Dedication: patience and diligence sometimes works as well. You let the nipping run it’s course and sometimes it goes away on its own once they realize you aren’t food or a threat. This doesn’t always work though, especially if you aren’t interacting with the mouse daily.
Scent: leave your scent on items in the cage. Rub them against your wrists or anywhere so that your scent stays familiar to them. (Some mice may find this invasive however because your basically saying ‘this is mine now.’) (this usually is done in conjunction to another method. This is unlikely to do much on its own and hasn’t really been proven in my experience.)

Things to avoid:
- Never pinch treats or food between your fingers when giving them to a mouse. This often leads to the mouse mistaking your fingers as food later or pinching at your fingers to try and get food because that’s ‘where It comes from.’ Make sure your setting the food in your palm so that they have to interact with your hand to get to it.
- Never give food through the bars of a cage. Because if you ever stick your finger at the bars. when they are used to getting food that way, they will nip you.
- Don’t reward a mouse after they nip you. If you give them a treat after they nip you they may begin to associate the action with receiving a reward. And likewise, give a treat anytime you get a completely nip-free hand interaction from the mouse.

I hope this helps!
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chaosplanet Fri 13 Nov 2020, 10:40 pm

Thank you!! I will definitely try feed him differently and the squeak method haha that one should be interesting

chaosplanet

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Sat 14 Nov 2020, 4:13 pm

Thank you, @Mir's Many Mice! The 3 boys I got in August nip me still if I'm not wearing my garden gloves. They have no fear of me whatsoever, yet they are not being aggressive. One of them bit me so hard there was blood dripping, but after reading this forum I feel that was caused by my error and he panicked.

I will try your suggestions and tips. I really want to interact with them more. They're so funny and cute. Thanks again!

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down