Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slightly Swollen Eye and weight loss.

2 posters

Go down

Slightly Swollen Eye and weight loss. Empty Slightly Swollen Eye and weight loss.

Post by antant26 Mon 13 Nov 2017, 11:23 pm

I can't upload images into a post on my phone, but I noticed today that one of my four mice, Weasel, has a slightly swollen eye and has lost some weight. I've already scheduled a vet appointment for Saturday, so this post is only asking what to do until then. I did previously foster a hamster who became I'll with an eye infection and passed away tragically. While he was sick, the vet prescribed eye drops, a probiotic and an antibiotic. Does yogurt or kefir sound like a good idea for Weasel? She is interested in food and her stools do seem to be normal, although her appetite is not as much as I've seen it.

For causes, it might be:
1) I accidentally got Ivermectin in her eye some how (20% chance in my opinion, I was very careful
2) The infection from the ailing hamster spread to the mice (30% likely hood)
3) I gave the hamster some Tropical Carnival oat sprays. I recently gave my mice oat sprays from a fresh bag. A few days afterward, Weasel has developed this problem. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Thanks everyone! I hope your mice are doing better than mine.

antant26
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Elated

Back to top Go down

Slightly Swollen Eye and weight loss. Empty Re: Slightly Swollen Eye and weight loss.

Post by CallaLily Tue 14 Nov 2017, 7:16 am

Small amounts of yogurt or kefir - plain, unsweetened - would be fine to help offset the damage an antibiotic can cause in the gut.

You could gently try rinsing her eye with an eye wash as needed, until your appointment and/or your vet tells you otherwise. Your vet should be able to tell you if it's an infection or just irritation. The weight loss is concerning, so be sure to mention it too.

I hope she feels better soon. Let us know how it goes at the vet's.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum