Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting two mice, is their new house too big?

4 posters

Go down

Getting two mice, is their new house too big? Empty Getting two mice, is their new house too big?

Post by Lemonade Snoopy Wed 22 Nov 2017, 1:41 pm

I'm getting a pair of female mice in a few days, and I've been planning out their new house. It's a 17 by 29 (height 8 in) drawer. The wood is safe, I checked it out, but I'm worried that the space is too large for two mice. Should I get a third or buy a smaller area?

Lemonade Snoopy

Back to top Go down

Getting two mice, is their new house too big? Empty Re: Getting two mice, is their new house too big?

Post by Blessed Wed 22 Nov 2017, 9:42 pm

Well, first let me say: hello3 and, Welcome Crew
And no; that's not too big. I'm sure they'll love it! When it comes to living beings, most prefer bigger spaces, lol.
But just saying, since you have a wood cage, like you mentioned, I'd keep an eye out on occasion to see if they start chewing on it.... We wouldn't want them chewing their way out, even if it takes months.
Mouse Wave

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Getting two mice, is their new house too big? Empty Re: Getting two mice, is their new house too big?

Post by CallaLily Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:31 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new mice!

I do find that with new, untamed mice they often do better with less space to start with. Then once you've finished taming and getting to know them, you can move them up to what works best for them. Putting untamed mice in a large space, even one packed with hides/toys, can make the process more difficult and can sometimes lead to territorial issues. I always start mine off in the minimum size for the group, but once they're doing well together and with me I move them up. Always watching to make sure the changes work for the group, of course. If you can invest in something like a 10 or 20 gallon tank just to start out with, it wouldn't go to waste as it would make a great quarantine/hospital tank which is always good to have on hand.

I do recommend a group of at least 3 females because it balances the group dynamics better and if one mouse were suddenly to pass away you're not left with one very sad lonely girl. With just a pair sometimes the more submissive mouse just can't catch a break. Having a third will take some of the dominant mouse's attention off of just her.

Good luck with your new mice. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemonade Snoopy Thu 23 Nov 2017, 12:15 pm

Alright, looks like I'll be getting an extra mouse n' using my old aquarium for a while (it's a bit smaller). Thanks!

Lemonade Snoopy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:03 pm

Lemonade Snoopy wrote:Alright, looks like I'll be getting an extra mouse n' using my old aquarium for a while (it's a bit smaller). Thanks!

Can't wait to see photos of your new girls Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down