Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bedding

+3
Peachy
River
Kittymore
7 posters

Go down

Bedding  Empty Bedding

Post by Kittymore Thu 21 Dec 2017, 8:28 am

I have used sawdust, paper and tissue I read now sawdust is not so good?
Should I just use the other two?
I also read they do not dig like hamsters so only need a smaller amount of bedding?
Thank you

Kittymore

Back to top Go down

Bedding  Empty Re: Bedding

Post by River Thu 21 Dec 2017, 9:07 am

I think it would depend on what kind of sawdust it is and how dusty it truly is. Most of us use paper, but wood isn't horrible. I'll wait for someone else to come in on that, though.

It is true that mice don't burrow like or as much as hamsters and gerbils, so they need less bedding. 1-3 inches is what we recommend, but you can provide more if you want. It depends on if your mice truly enjoy or use more.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittymore Thu 21 Dec 2017, 11:39 am

River wrote:I think it would depend on what kind of sawdust it is and how dusty it truly is. Most of us use paper, but wood isn't horrible. I'll wait for someone else to come in on that, though.

It is true that mice don't burrow like or as much as hamsters and gerbils, so they need less bedding. 1-3 inches is what we recommend, but you can provide more if you want. It depends on if your mice truly enjoy or use more.

They don't seem to dig much
Also can you do like a bottom layer of newspaper? as I noticed they pee a lot and I felt this would absorb better?

Kittymore

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 21 Dec 2017, 11:53 am

Kiln dried pine or aspen is okay. Cedar is the main wood bedding you want to avoid, and not just for pocket pets... it's dangerous for a number of animals. It smells good though.

We most often recommend paper bedding because it's less likely to cause allergies. I used some leftover aspen after my final gerbil passed, and several of the mice lost the fur on their belly from it. Before that, I had used pine without any problems.

Newspaper works well as a liner for under some other type of bedding. Shredding it and using it that way is fine, too. I used shredded newspaper as the main bedding for a long time, my only complaints are that the odor control is lacking and it doesn't always look very nice.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Fri 22 Dec 2017, 4:23 pm

Sawdust? Do you mean wood chips...? If it was sawdust, any mouse would have a respiratory infection or be dead... Always try for aspen wood chips, but I use a combination of carefresh and Aspen. My girls like wood to burrow in, inside of softer materials but carefresh is good for nesting. Tissue is good but you’d have to use a lot of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 22 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

I use Carefresh bedding. I also tear up some paper towels and that's what Mickey takes into his igloo to build his nest. Mickey likes to move around the Carefresh bedding and pile it up, but I've never seen him burrow in it.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by nenna87 Fri 29 Dec 2017, 5:34 pm

Currently i use a mixture of newspaper/safe scrap paper (no ink or safe ink) and carefresh ir crittercare *walmart version of carefresh). I found that just using carefresh/crittercare was expensive, even with sales, coupons, etc. However, the newspaper alone didnt have any odor control.

I shred the paper up and crinkle it up (i just squish it in my hands). I then mix it with carefresh -about 3/4 newspaper and 1/4 carefresh. I also put extra carefresh in where ghey like to pee, to have extra odor control.

I also add various things for nesting, but the mice often use the newspaper.

Most paper and tissues should be fine as long as they dont have ink, or you know the ink is safe.

Aspen is fine, although i cannot use it as ine if my girls is allergic.

nenna87

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 29 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

I'm not a fan of the wood. Doesn't seem very cozy, and why even bother when you'll probably have a mouse get an allergy and have to swap it out anyway? Paper's the way to go. I use kaytee clean and cozy myself!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 29 Dec 2017, 10:58 pm

I started ordering my Carefresh from Chewy.com. Soooooooo much cheaper then PETsMART.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum