Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Box shock or something more? Does this need a vet? [Updated]

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Box shock or something more?  Does this need a vet?  [Updated]  - Page 2 Empty Re: Box shock or something more? Does this need a vet? [Updated]

Post by River Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

Alright! I thought so, but since she and Graham haven't met yet, I wasn't sure. I have a saline thing for allergies that's used for the nose. Its just plain saline, but not eyedrops...is this safe for an eye flush or should I just make my own?
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Box shock or something more?  Does this need a vet?  [Updated]  - Page 2 Empty Re: Box shock or something more? Does this need a vet? [Updated]

Post by River Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:25 pm

Here's a picture of the eye.

Box shock or something more?  Does this need a vet?  [Updated]  - Page 2 Img_7023

Box shock or something more?  Does this need a vet?  [Updated]  - Page 2 Img_7024

The picture looks hairless around it, something I hadn't noticed at all before. I'll have to get a better look but I'm not 100% sure if that's the photo or reality.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:33 pm

That looks like the eye of one of my old mice, Mabel. She had conjunctivitis that turned into OCD. It was a rough journey! Definitely get her into a vet. You don't want it to turn into OCD, trust me.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 28 Dec 2017, 8:52 pm

That's good to know, at least I have something to expect! Were her symptoms off and on too? How does the medication for that work? I hate scruffing mice.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

Honestly, scruffing mice is just a thing you gotta learn to do if you wanna have these animals. It's as important as feeding and watering them. My method of restraining mice is wrapping them in a towel and restraining them that way. The burrito method, it's called! Way easier than scruffing them in my opinion.

The meds for these are usually eye drops. You restrain the mouse and then drop the medication into their eye. I had to do it every day with Mabel for months until her OCD lessened up enough to no longer be worth it.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 30 Dec 2017, 9:54 pm

Thanks everyone! Just an update on this. I discovered I can burrito mice pretty well -- at least, Graham, anyways! She's a cuddly one though, so maybe not the best experiment.

The eye has become more frequently cruddy. Today wasn't red, just...mucky and brown. We decided to use the warranty, since they took brilliant care of my Maier when we used it for her back then. She has an appointment for Monday. They'll be taking a list of symptoms and a photo of the bad days along with, taped to her carrier as evidence. I'll make a new thread when we get to the bottom of it.

Were almost done with week two of quarantine! When she gets back from the vet, we'll only have nearly a week left till she meets my girl. I'm excited.

Taming is going great. She comes up to greet me at the bars and climbs on my hands a few times during sessions. Still skittish, but going strong.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 01 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

She went in today. They said they'll keep her 1-2 weeks and call us when she's all better. The eye was more watery than cruddy but they did notice something going on with her left eye -- no confirmation on what it is yet, though.

I'll miss her, but she gets to meet Graham by the time she gets home at least. I hope they take good care of her -- I'm admittedly a little worried, as I've never had a mouse stay so long in their care. Wish us luck, I guess.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 01 Jan 2018, 3:22 pm

Will they allow you to visit? I think she'd appreciate a little continuity like that. Ask if there is any little thing you could bring her for a treat, so she will remember you and be happy to see you each time you go. (Just be sure to follow their hygiene protocol!)

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

Geez, those pet store vets are frightening. I would never let someone take away my animal for that long, doing god knows what to them.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 01 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

The only time I used a "warranty," the mouse ended up dying over night. Not really their fault, he was very ill, but he was so sweet and I felt terrible that he wasn't at home. I started to just use my own vet, but now I hear that my Petco uses the same vet I go to. And my vet is great!

They only keep them so they can treat them themselves. I love Merci's idea. You could also try calling and asking to speak with someone who can check on her. I hope Garcia comes back healthy and happy. Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 01 Jan 2018, 5:27 pm

I'll be calling soon, I hope I'll be able to see her! Checking in will be nice in any case.

I used the Petco vet for Maier - she stayed for about a week, and came back just as lovely. I've never used the Petsmart vet warranty, but they both use the same vet (banfield) so I'll try not to worry.

I'm not sure if it's something I would have done if money wasn't so tight right now. My vet fund is only $120 at this point, and with two mice and a bird I figured a free vet visit and security for the rest of my pets was the best bet for us -- and it made my parents happier, too. I think I did the right thing, even if it might not be ideal.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 01 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

I'm honestly just paranoid, but considering my paranoia comes from others' firsthand experience, I let myself be paranoid. So it's just up to choice, since a lot of people on here have had fine experiences with the petco warranty.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2