Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your opinion on tubes?

+3
CallaLily
goldfishfanforever
GabbiLuvsMice
7 posters

Go down

What is your opinion on tubes? Empty What is your opinion on tubes?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:03 am

I have Ovo tubes and I have been told that mice can die in them by some people. I was not aware that they could be that dangerous, my mice seem to really enjoy them. Do you think tubes are safe or not? If you think they aren't, can they be use in some situations but not all? What are the reasons for possible death?
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

What is your opinion on tubes? Empty Re: What is your opinion on tubes?

Post by goldfishfanforever Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:07 am

I have put some tubes hanging in my cage for my future mice but I wouldn't use tubes for connecting cages if you have mice although I use them for my robo he is much smaller than a mouse and they have quite a lot of air holes but I would rather not use them Sad
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:12 am

They don't have very good ventilation and are a pain to clean. That combination can lead to respiratory problems. I do use tubes but just single pieces laid in the tank or play bin for the girls. The real trouble comes with cages/compartments connected by tubes and a group of girls. Separate areas seem to encourage split colonies and fighting/bullying. Plus confined spaces, like connected tubes, ends up in a more serious fight because it's more difficult to get away.

I have heard of hamsters getting stuck in them. Not sure about mice.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 03 Jun 2016, 9:28 am

Respiratory issues are the main problem, but I've also heard that mice can get stuck or panic inside of them. Whether it's true or not, better safe than sorry. I don't consider them safe to use.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:07 am

I think tubes by themselves are okay, but I wouldn't use them any other way. My CritterTrail tubes never held to the cage well, and could be easily knocked out of the way so the mouse could escape (or be caught by the cat/dog Sad). Other problems I had were mice hiding in the tubes so I couldn't get to them and mice getting stuck/not coming back... Tubes that were too vertical seemed to be a little scary to climb back down. Those tubes are also hard to take apart and make it tricky to get to your mouse quickly.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:10 am

Like CallaLily, I've used single short plastic tubes as additions to their "playpen" to give them more fun things to do when they're in there while I'm deep cleaning the tank but stop short of connecting tubes to make long tunnels or add curved tubes to straight ones. As others have said, the main concerns are breathing issues and panicking/"freezing" in the tube...and they are a major pain to clean. Mice love objects they can shred with their teeth so cardboard toilet tissue rolls are perfect: the tubes are wide enough for even chunky mice (and I've had my share of those) to get through, are short enough that a nose and tip of tail can stick out from both ends, are cozy to nap in, fun to tear up and, best of all, a new one is always available!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:16 am

Short sections of tubes can be fun for mice to run through as a toy in their cage/tank. As long as the tubes are wide enough, and the mice don't decide to pee in them, I don't see a problem with using tubes in this way.
As CallaLily said - the issue is more with those tube-connected cage systems, and long sections of tube networks.

I don't think getting stuck is a risk unless you have a very large, overweight mouse. Mice tend to be more svelte than hamsters Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down