Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pee In Tubes :')

4 posters

Go down

Pee In Tubes :') Empty Pee In Tubes :')

Post by Nijimi にじみ Wed 23 May 2018, 1:22 pm

So I recently bought my mice some tubes from Petco.
(They're the critter trail tubes if you FYI)
I own a tank, not a critter trail cage, and will be getting another tank for my babies who are getting bigger.
My older mice got the tubes and decided to pee in the highest part? I don't mind cleaning it a couple times but is there anything I can do to stop this? They don't do it with toilet paper rolls... Undecided

Back to top Go down

Pee In Tubes :') Empty Re: Pee In Tubes :')

Post by Jadamouse Thu 24 May 2018, 12:28 am

stopping mice from peeing in tubes can be difficult. you could try taking the tubes out for a couple of days and your mice will have to start peeing somewhere else, mice often like to choose one place to pee. then put the tubes back (well cleaned with none of their scent on it) and they will possibly keep peeing where they chose to pee while the tubes were gone. good luck!

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 24 May 2018, 7:17 am

Here I go again, trying to think like a mouse ...

Confused  Here's this new tube thing, and it's made of plastic, and it smells like ... plastic.  Just plasticky-plastic, cold and hard and sterile ... plastic.  WHERE'S MY MOUSIE SMELL???  Wait -- I know!  I shall baptize thee, o cold hard sterile plasticky-plastic tube, with my own special mousie smell -- tinkle* tinkle*tinkle.  There!  Done!  Oh, this is so much better ...   Bouncy

Then, of course, we humans see it, exclaim something along the lines of "durn it there's mousewater in this tube again", take it out and give it a good cleaning, return it to the mousehouse, and then watch the same sequence of events repeat.

Does the tube separate into smaller segments?  If so, you can try placing the smaller segments down on the floor of the mousehouse for the little ones to run through and get used to them and make them their own.  Then gradually assemble them into longer and more complicated segments.  While they are in shorter segments, you can also try putting bits of used (but not soiled) bedding inside, to really integrate the tube pieces into the environment and make them less foreign.

Sometimes change is good, and sometimes change is bad, and sometimes it is neither but it still takes a little getting used to. Coordinating the "getting used to" can be difficult when we can't speak "mouse".

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 24 May 2018, 8:00 am

My mice always seemed to like to pee in or on the plastic tubes too. I found it easiest to just use them individually most of the time. Then washed them during weekly full cleans. Just part of having mice. Smile The more complicated the tube connections, the more pita to pull apart weekly to wash. And since they don’t have great air flow and mice tend to pee a lot, they have to be washed frequently. Though some mice are neater than others. And sometimes, as @MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop was saying, they back off some once they’re more used to the new thing.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down