Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Introduction

4 posters

Go down

The Introduction Empty The Introduction

Post by River Mon 15 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm

So far we met on neutral territory! This lasted about 20 minutes with no arguments at all. They played together on a new seagrass toy and sniffed eachother a bit -- some squinting on Garcia's side was involved, but no fights.

I put Garcia into the deeply cleaned tank and I'm letting her explore for 10 minutes before I'll add Graham.

Graham really loves her! Garcia seems kind of neutral, but Graham is chattering and happy as can be. Here's a poor picture of their interactions. The Introduction Screen10 I had to screenshot from a video, so excuse the blur!

EDIT: Now they're in the topperless tank together and doing...amazing. They're cuddled up together grooming already! I'm keeping a close eye on it but there's been no chasing and minimal squinting. How long should I keep watch of these interactions?
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

The Introduction Empty Re: The Introduction

Post by Peachy Mon 15 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

Aww. I'm so happy Graham loves her new friend! Love

When intros go off like this I don't even worry anymore. Snuggling and grooming are two behaviors I look for to make sure an introduction is going in the right direction... If they were going to fight badly it would have already started.
We usually say it can take a couple weeks for them to work everything out, though, so don't be too concerned about any squeaking or squinting that happens unless it's accompanied by chasing and the like. That's just them getting to know each other, establishing boundaries and such.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 15 Jan 2018, 3:13 pm

I added more toys which did elicit some minimal chasing/humping but for the most part they're grooming, playing, and eating together! I'll put the topper back on tonight. For now I'm leaving it off or easy access to separate a fight if needed, though. I'm so glad this went as well as it did.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 15 Jan 2018, 5:07 pm

The ivermectin spiked Graham's hair up and now she resembles a certain food network star. Here they are, finally asleep!
The Introduction Image10

They have huts they have chosen to neglect for the night but I don't mind. More pictures for me I guess.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 15 Jan 2018, 5:53 pm

Awww I'm glad the intro went well! Yay

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 15 Jan 2018, 6:58 pm

Hurray! Very Happy So happy it went well!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 16 Jan 2018, 9:02 pm

Thanks!

More good news...I believe I've found the culprit of the allergy!

I had been using this antibacterial wipe to clean the cage. It has a scent to it but I thought hey, just a bit won't hurt, right?

I hadn't used it in the quarantine cage since she got back from the vet. Two weeks of healthy eyes and I forgetfully wiped down the topper quite heavily with this wipe and low and behold, the eye problem returned.

Guess that's a firm reminder not to use any strongly scented products in your mouses cage, no matter how little it might be. I'll clean the cage back up and keep you updated but I am fairly certain this is the problem! Vet has been emailed for second opinions, and a few other forums have told me of similar problems with their own mice.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 16 Jan 2018, 9:32 pm

I only ever use mild antibacterial soap. Not only is it clean and unscented, it's THE most economical cleaning agent you can have for a mouse tank. I've been using the same bar of soap for three years on MULTIPLE ten and twenty gallon tanks every week, and it's not even done yet. That stupid soap bar has outlived all my mice! Highly recommend.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 17 Jan 2018, 7:12 am

Glad you figured it out!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down