Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can female mice live alone?

+3
CallaLily
River
jubilee
7 posters

Go down

Can female mice live alone? Empty Can female mice live alone?

Post by jubilee Tue 16 Jan 2018, 11:18 am

So a couple weeks have gone by since I got Jam. Jam is growing into a very pretty little girl. Her fur is no longer rough and spiky and has become pure white and very smooth and shiny. However, she and Phoebe are still living in separate cages. Phoebe has shown nothing but aggression towards poor little Jam. I have been spending way more time with Phoebe lately. Living on her own, she has become much more friendly, active, and less aggressive. I am beginning to wonder if she would be happier living alone. Jam on the other hand does need a friend. Can female mice live alone? I want to get another mouse for Jam but maybe Phoebe is ok by herself. What do ya'll think?

I'll post pics soon!

- Remembering Sam and Phoebe Angel Angel  ...
jubilee
jubilee

Leo Cold

Back to top Go down

Can female mice live alone? Empty Re: Can female mice live alone?

Post by River Tue 16 Jan 2018, 11:21 am

Female mice can only live alone if the situation is absolutely necessary -- as in they've rejected every female they've lived with. I know Phoebe had a friend before, so is it possible you introduced wrong? Introducing similar sized mice might make it a whole lot easier on you, how small was Jam when she was introduced?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by jubilee Tue 16 Jan 2018, 2:15 pm

Jam is about as big as Sam was now, and Phoebe still tried to rip her back up last night. I am introducing them the same way I was told to on this forum. Phoebe was ok with Sam but far less active and friendly. She did fight Sam at night, but Sam would fight back so everything was fine. Jam won't fight back at all. Phoebe will mount and urinate on her and Jam will just sit their squeaking. Ugh!

jubilee
jubilee

Leo Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 16 Jan 2018, 2:41 pm

It's rare but sometimes there can be the oddball girl that just doesn't accept any friends. If you've tried a few different buddies for Phoebe and she just rips into them all (drawing blood) even though you're following all the intro advice, she might be best left alone and treated like you would a lone male. Lots of attention/out of cage time, switch things up for her to keep things interesting, and lots and lots of stuff to do.  But if you've only ever tried her with Jam, please do consider trying a different friend (preferably two) if possible.

And for sure try to find some new buddies for Jam.  Smile

EDIT to add that mounting and squeaking are completely normal in just introduced does. The only time you should really intervene is if blood has been drawn and/or if a mouse is being so severely ousted from the group that the others won't let her have enough access to food or water.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 16 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

I would get two more mice to live with Jam, but then try introducing the new girls to Phoebe, one at a time. See if she'll take either of them. If not, the two new girls can live happily with Jam, and Phoebe will just have to suck it up. if it comes to that, I would try introducing them back together once they're all old ladies. Girls chill out a lot once they're old, and she might not have the energy to fight everyone anymore.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by jubilee Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:08 am

Thank you! My only problem is that my parents don't seen to keen on the idea of more mice.. I honestly think that Phoebe is happier alone! I will keep trying to introduce them. So I only remove them once one of them starts bleeding, correct? Yikes!

jubilee
jubilee

Leo Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 17 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

If one makes the other bleed, separate permanently. It means they no longer have any intention of getting along. As I said, you'd probably have to wait a long time before it would be worth trying to reintroduce.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 17 Jan 2018, 4:01 pm

I'd actually disagree and say that a false intro that makes other mice bleed is worth another shot with a proper, slower introduction. If it doesn't work out then, though, it never will.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Thu 01 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm

I just got my two females and they just started to chase each other and squeak. I'm very upset about it, I thought they'd at least get along for a few months before fighting. All the female mice I've had have fought sometime with each other and had to be separated. At the moment both females are living alone and have play dates whenever I let them play on my bed. :|
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

@colors - Chasing and squeaking can be normal behavior, especially in mice that are still settling in to a new environment. You shouldn't interfere unless someone draws blood.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:34 pm

Also, mice either need to be together or kept apart. Playdates are not recommended.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Fri 02 Feb 2018, 5:45 am

Okay, I'll try to keep them together again Smile
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down