Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily?

5 posters

Go down

Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily? Empty Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily?

Post by PastelMouse Sat 27 Jan 2018, 3:45 pm

This may be a silly question, but is it fine for a mouse to be kept on a vegetarian diet? I know certain meats can be good for them, but if not fed these will the mouse still be fine and get all needed nutrients? I don't eat meat so I figured it'd be easier, but I'll of course feed whatever is best for a mouse.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily? Empty Re: Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily?

Post by deleted Sat 27 Jan 2018, 5:13 pm

I mean they CAN live on it, but mice do good with a bit of animal protein and it is recommended.
You should be able to get hands on dried mealworms either online or in petshops.

deleted
Jr Member
Jr Member

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 27 Jan 2018, 7:37 pm

Foods like chicken and turkey really aren't necessary for your mice. It's a good supplement if you've happened to make it, but scrambled eggs, a good quality dog kibble, or crickets/mealworms are great too.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 27 Jan 2018, 8:25 pm

I agree with Peachy. My mice don't even really care for fresh, cooked meat honestly. They prefer insects and/or safe dog treats/kibble. I haven't given them eggs in a while so I forgot whether they like those or not.

In the wild, a mouse's diet would consist mainly of grains/seeds, and a few insects. Rarely would they get any meat from anything other than insects.

Can Mice Live Vegetarian Happily? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 27 Jan 2018, 9:32 pm

I feel that feeder insects really should be included as a part of their diet. Like AMO said above, naturally they eat mainly seeds, grains, and insects.... but do occasionally take full advantage of edible fruits, nuts, herbs, flowers, mushrooms, and yes even carrion sometimes. But you don't have to offer chicken, turkey, fish, etc if that's not something you'd normally have on hand. Mine have greatly enjoyed eggs, dried chicken, and occasional bits of salmon or sardines, but they never turn down dried mealworms, crickets, calciworms, or shrimp (found in the fish or reptile section of stores or online).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down