Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?

4 posters

Go down

Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Empty Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?

Post by River Wed 17 Jan 2018, 4:05 pm

https://www.amazon.com/ocean-saline-nasal-spray-ounce/dp/b00bfah6o2

I found this today and figure it could go in my first aid kit (and aid Garcias eyes where needed), but I thought I'd ask. Seems to be just plain saline with a couple of preservatives.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Empty Re: Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?

Post by River Thu 18 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

Anyone know? I'm planning to use this in Garcia until she recovers again. I'm fairly certain it is safe but I'd really like a second opinion before I go ahead with it. No pure saline eyedrops to be found at the store, but some people have said the concentration of salt is different.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 18 Jan 2018, 6:33 pm

If it was just straight up saline, I'd know for sure, but unfortunately I don't know anything about those preservatives. Sad

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 18 Jan 2018, 6:42 pm

Thanks! I've been trying to find one that's pure but I've been out of luck thus far.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:04 pm

I noticed that the label did not specify the concentrations of those additives. Makes it hard to compare to anything known to be eye-safe.

Personally, I would use nose things for noses and eye things for eyes. Part of my rationale for saying that comes from swimming pool experience: You can swim in an over-chlorinated pool, and you may end up with dry, itchy skin. If you fall backwards off your floatie raft and get a bucketful of over-chlorinated water up your nose, you will have to hack and snort and get all that stuff out of there, but the water, more than the chlorine, is what will cause you discomfort. But if you go swimming around under water without goggles in that over-chlorinated pool, your eyes will be red and sore for a couple of days. Same pool, same chlorine concentration, but different reactions from different body tissues.

The logic may turn out to be wrong, but I'd rather use saline rinse made for eyes on little mousie eyes.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:39 pm

Thanks! Does anyone have any brand recommendations of pure eye saline? I haven't found one yet, but I'd be willing to order online if needed. It may be useful in the long run if it comes late, anyways.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 18 Jan 2018, 7:59 pm

River wrote:Does anyone have any brand recommendations of pure eye saline? I haven't found one yet, but I'd be willing to order online if needed. It may be useful in the long run if it comes late, anyways.

I just used the eye wash we had on hand. I believe it's Bausch & Lomb. But I do think it has a preservative. But it's what I've used anyway. Pardon

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:42 am

I'll have to check it out. I guess I'll just fine the most 'saline' eye drops I can find! Walgreen's has some stuff labeled saline for sensitive eyes but I think it has some additives. Oh well.

Her eyes were still pretty bad today and she looked to be having trouble opening them all the way so I emailed another vet with pictures and info asking if taking her in was a good idea. She responded saying that she would say stress and/or allergies too and that she shouldn't be taken in unless I notice other symptoms. I get anxious over these kinds of things, so it was good to hear from a proper exotics vet. That's two vet opinions so I think I can calm down now. I need to stop psyching myself out so much in the future Laughing

I can't wait to get my hands on some saline though. Just some water drops near/in the eyes helped greatly. She had clear, bright and open eyes again in seconds and it's lasting!
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:51 am

So there's another possible allergen? Or maybe she just has overly sensitive eyes? Clogged tear ducts?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:24 am

I could only wipe down the cage bars with a spray bottle and some napkins so if some of the residue is still there it could still be bothering it -- or maybe her allergy is just taking a few days to settle. I couldn't think of a way to get it off any better, though. If there is another allergy stresser I'm totally lost on what it is.

Otherwise, the vet said mice that are very stressed often don't clean their porphyrin as they should, which is why it's visible. The Petsmart did say it was possible she has overly sensitive eyes -- like scar tissue or something more natural -- but I'm not sure how trusty that is, the other vet didn't repeat it.

Thankfully no one has said it sounds or looks like an infection, though! Close eye out for other symptoms. She looked better this morning, but we'll see if that lasts while she sleeps. That's when it usually gets to be noticeable
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:30 pm

I would just flush her eye whenever it looks bad. With saline solution for eyes, not nasal, just to be safe.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 19 Jan 2018, 3:42 pm

I'll try and find something then.

The eye looks better today! It was a bit off when she first woke up for lunch but she wiped it up and her eyes were open and cleaned while she ate. The porphyrin staining has gone down quite a bit, too. She's recovering from the stressor steadily.

She doesn't like to share her wheel, I've discovered. Good thing I have two.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm

She looks pretty great today!

Here's when the allergy had flared back up. This is the picture we sent in to the vet. Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Img_7219

And here she is today, looking and feeling much better already. Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Img_7221
Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Img_7220

She still looked a bit watery when she first woke up, like I mentioned above: Is ocean saline nasal spray safe?  Img_7222

But it wasn't too bad, compared to just yesterday. Thanks for all the advice, it's helped my mice more than I could express.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 20 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

Update:

I was given this today. https://jet.com/product/detail/c4d5fce238584b1680c7e2db0ae4dc35?jcmp=pla:bng:All%20Products%20Catch%20All:All%20Products🇳🇦PLA_112586931_4372403789_pla-4579946966786142_t🇳🇦na🇳🇦2PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=112586931&is_retargeting=true&clickid=5c31caa5-074a-4bf5-b923-aa68e371c2f9&msclkid=4ecc618a40ae13eae27e3be9fee9438a

Its not an eyedrop, so to speak, but it's saline designed for sensitive eyes to rinse/store contact lenses, so it does go on the eyes. It says it isn't a disinfectant. Think it'll be fine if I ever need it again? If not I'm kind of out of luck. The opinions seem to vary.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:31 am

The description on that bottle is exactly the same as on the Bausch&Lomb "Sensitive Eyes Plus" saline solution I have right next to my desk at work. I get some terrible allergies, and I use it to flush pollen and debris out of my eyes during the "high seasons". It has always helped the problem.

I would usually buy a generic equivalent, which "Equate" is, but the B&L was a gift from a co-worker who had two unopened bottles at her house (for some reason having to do with one of her adult children ...) that were apparently not going to be used, and there I was one day, all red- and runny-eyed and carrying a bottle of saline on my way to the ladies' room.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down