Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Female butt smelling?

5 posters

Go down

Female butt smelling? Empty Female butt smelling?

Post by ian_minatani Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:39 pm

So i recently (Yesterday) got 2 female mice, one of the mice was chasing the other around sniffing its butt (and potentially nibbling), is this a problem? And what can i do to solve it.

EDIT: Also, the mean? female keeps taking all of the others toilet-paper nesting. But right now they're eating together just fine.

ian_minatani

Back to top Go down

Female butt smelling? Empty Re: Female butt smelling?

Post by Blessed Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm

Hmm... I don't think it's a problem; and I don't know for sure, but, she might be about to show/is showing(?) who's the dominant one. Razz I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious--in fact, she may be trying to get to know the other one, too! Good vibes

But I will tag some more knowledgeable mouse owners... @CallaLily, @Peachy, @AnonymousMouseOwner. =)

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_minatani Fri 09 Feb 2018, 10:57 pm

Thank you so much @Blessed That's a relief, i, a new mouse enthusiast, is too inexperienced to handle a bully mouse, lmao.

ian_minatani

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:16 pm

I believe that's how mice recognize each other and say hello, just like dogs do. Mice can't see very well so they depend on their smell and hearing mostly to determine who is who. My mice do this a lot, especially when they are first introduced to each other Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Sat 10 Feb 2018, 12:43 am

You're very welcome, Ian! Very Happy
Lol, well, if she was a bully, more likely than not, she wouldn't bite you. =)

Oh, and, forgot to say: Welcome Crew to PMF!!

Edit: Just saw you edited your post, too, so wanted to comment on it.. I think your 'mean' female is just making a nest. She could very well be the dominant one, too.
But do they sleep together?

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 10 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

I don't think it's anything to worry about, they are probably just working things out. As ling as there is no bloodshed it's ok. You may want to add one more female as trios tend to balance each other a little better than two.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 10 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

Chasing, sniffing, squeaking, and even mounting can all be very normal with newly introduced mice. As long as there’s no blood shed, you’re good. Cool

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down