Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bulging eyes and Crusty butt?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bulging eyes and Crusty butt? Empty Bulging eyes and Crusty butt?

Post by Soren Fri 27 May 2016, 5:08 pm

One of my mice, Usagi has a few strange symptoms... The first is her eyes seem a little more bulge-y than usual. Her eyes look a little red-rimmed too. And the second (and most bizarre) symptom is that her anus has a layer of crust on it. There is a red spot, almost like blood on it as well. I have no idea what it means. Is it wet stools? an allergy? I have no idea whats going on.

Other than that, she is eating, sleeping, drinking, and running on her wheel like normal. She socializes with her daughters just fine. I weighed her and she is 49 grams like usual.

Last edited by Soren on Fri 27 May 2016, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Bulging eyes and Crusty butt? Empty Re: Bulging eyes and Crusty butt?

Post by MouseLover Fri 27 May 2016, 5:37 pm

Is it possible the red rim on the eyes are those red-coloured tears get when they're ill? (I forget what they're called...)
The anus symptoms sound a little worrying... mice are usually so clean! Perhaps she has had diarrhea and some of it has crusted on? Do you know if she has been constipated at all? Has there been a change in diet, or any new foods introduced? Sounds gross but maybe a picture might help identify what is wrong with her. Poor thing Sad

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 27 May 2016, 7:33 pm

The bulgey eyes could be a symptom of pain, from my understanding. I had the same thought as MouseLover with the red tears (porphyrin, I think?).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Fri 27 May 2016, 9:07 pm

I didnt know that... i dont want my little usagi in pain. Shes eating the same food, have not changed thier food. Bulging eyes:

Bulging eyes and Crusty butt? 20160536

Here's the butt picture requested... it's not as bad now, but you can see a red dot that kind of looks like blood.

Bulging eyes and Crusty butt? 20160535

She doesn't look so good. When I put her back,  she went to the corner and started breathing hard. I called the vet. I made an appointment for Sunday, but they asked me to call tomorrow morning and they'll see if I can get an appointment then.

This really sucks. Poor usagi.
On top of that, I lost my job a week ago. Yay vet bills.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 28 May 2016, 7:28 am

I think taking her to the vet is a good idea. Better safe than sorry!
I wonder if she was constipated, and maybe that caused the blood/soreness on her butt?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 28 May 2016, 10:08 am

Poor thing! I wish I had some better advice. Hopefully you can get her into the vet quickly.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Sat 28 May 2016, 11:53 am

Yeah, perhaps the two things (butt, bulging eyes) are not related. I checked on her this morning and shes by herself, huffing and puffing with her eyes closed. She doesn't look good. Good thing i called the exotic vet again today and the have some today appointments available. im taking her in in 15 min! Dear Usagi, please hold on.

I'll give an update when done.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Sat 28 May 2016, 2:58 pm

They said she had pneumonia. They gave me baytril and doxycycline liquid that i will have to put in her mouth, twice a day for two weeks.

Walked out $157 poorer, but Usagi is worth the fight.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 28 May 2016, 8:20 pm

A pneumonia? Wow, how'd she get that? Good thing you got some baytril and doxy, that'll clear this right up.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 29 May 2016, 7:34 am

Poor thing! Get well soon Usagi!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 29 May 2016, 8:29 am

Poor baby. I hope the antibiotics clear it up quickly.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Mon 30 May 2016, 4:29 pm

She's not looking good! She seems to have gotten worse since i started her on the antibiotics. She still huffing and puffing. And she is no longer eating and drinking. I could tell she was dehydrated last time i scruff-ed her to feed her antibiotics, because her skin didn't snap back elastically. And her water bottle water level hasn't moved at all. Her food bowl untouched. I'm afraid! What should I do?
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 30 May 2016, 4:41 pm

I would keep her warm, syringe feed her some KMR, and get her back into the vet ASAP. Also, if she's dehydrated, you can use pedialyte or plain gatorade to help rehydrate her. If you don't have any of those on hand, just use plain water.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Mon 30 May 2016, 9:53 pm

Called the vet, they are closed for memorial day. I went to petco to get KMR, but the petco person told me it would be better to get vegetable baby food and syringe feed her, so I got pea and carrot baby food and got my partner to help me get some baby food and water into her. So now there's something in her system at least....
She really doesn't look good. I swear she looks worse AFTER starting anti-biotics. She's skinny and her fur is a mess. All she does is breath really hard and stay in one spot. And she feels cold in my hand.
I put a heating pad on the bottom of her cage. Think that's okay? It's 73 degrees Fahrenheit in san diego right now. I feel like she cold... but i don't want to give her heat stroke either. I don't have a temp gauge on the pad, but i ran it for a few hours to test (not in the cage) and it only gets luke warm. It feels warm when i put my hand directly on the pad, but not hot.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 31 May 2016, 5:51 am

Definitely use a heat pad if she's cold. When mice get like this,'the important thing to do is keep them warm. It might also be a good idea to get her some KMR as well. Just don't get the Hartz brand- it's not good at all. Keep syringe feeding her if she won't eat on her own, and see if you can get her rehydrated. I'm so sorry this is happening.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next