Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice

2 posters

Go down

Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice Empty Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice

Post by MooMouse Fri 16 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

Hello everyone Smile Unfortunately, one of my brother's mice passed away today. She developed a lump under her skin that didn't seem to bother her anyway and passed away not long after. So, now her sister is alone and upset. I'm planning on introducing her to my trio so hopefully she can be helped through the death of her sister. I've never had to introduce mice before and I have a few questions.

1) I've reviewed the introduction sticky, but it does not go into detail about adding one mouse to 3 more. I am going to introduce them in the bathtub, with a lot of toys and boxes to play in. But, should I gradually introduce them? Like put the lone one in the tub and then add one of my girls, then another one, then the last? I don't want to overwhelm Anna (the lone one) but I don't know if it's okay to keep changing the social dynamic.

2) If the introduction goes well, can I put them all in the trio's tank? It is 20 gallon so it's good for 4 girls. I will deep clean it but I am unsure if my girls will still become territorial.

I think that's all for now, thanks everyone!! It is very much appreciated!

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice Empty Re: Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice

Post by Blessed Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm

Hey there, MooMouse! Very Happy It's been a long time since you've posted.
I'm sorry your brother's mouse passed away.

In answer to your question, I think it's fine to just introduce them all together, no matter the number. But, if it makes you feel better/more comfortable doing it this way, try and introduce them to the newbie one at a time, if you'd like.
But here's a lengthy but detailed video on how to do it (if you need to, you may skip the first few minutes in it, probably):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VWdvH3Dfs

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice Empty Re: Introducing a mouse to a group of 3 mice

Post by MooMouse Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

Hey! It has been a while, life has kinda gotten in the way of my posting, haha. So I ended up setting up the bathtub and putting Fiona in first (the most calm/not agressive) then Maisy (the alpha) and finally Kisiel (the middle one). I only had about 2 minutes in between each mouse, to make sure they didn't exactly establish anything until they were all in there. Then I gradually blocked off the tub until they were only occupying a fourth of it, and the squeaking was reduced. It seemed to work! They are all in the 20 gal now and besides the occasional squabble, they seem like they are getting along. Anna is much more perky and happy. Thanks for the advice, it really helped. I've never done this before but I feel more confident now.

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Sat 17 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

Ah, okay. I understand! Smile
I'm glad to hear the introduction went well! I introduced an African Soft Furred rat with my two girls possibly about two weeks ago, and it went pretty good, too (as in, no serious scuffling/involving bloodshed). Very Happy

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down