Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using saucer as a toilet

4 posters

Go down

Using saucer as a toilet Empty Using saucer as a toilet

Post by pokemonsz Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:30 pm

Hey everyone! I recently got a saucer for Benji, and needless to say he LOVES it. He rarely gets off it to explore other parts of the cage (except climbing on the wire ceiling - he's ripped). I have to clean the saucer sometimes twice a day or more though (if I can stand longer I try to) because I'm convinced he doesn't poop anywhere else. I use a wet wipe to pick up the piles of poop, but he's right back on it pooping and peeing again. I'm glad he's happy, but it stinks up the room pretty quickly! Any ideas?

The wheel after I cleaned it only a few hours ago:
Using saucer as a toilet Img_1810

Jr Member
Jr Member

https://supermegashowoff.com

Back to top Go down

Using saucer as a toilet Empty Re: Using saucer as a toilet

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:01 pm

That is to be expected with young mice, they really like to use wheels as toilets Laughing Generally, I've noticed my mice get out of that habit as they get older though, and the wheel stays squeaky clean. I had an older group of girls for a while, they always left their wheel spotless, but when I started introducing younger mice, the wheel got incredibly dirty. There's not much you can do, unfortunately. I find it easier to just take my wheels outside and spray them down with the hose real quick, so you might want to try doing that if it's an option for you. It's a lot quicker for me Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 24 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

I agree with AMO, my Mickey used to poo and pee on his wheel a lot when he was younger, but now that he's older his wheel stays clean. So just know that eventually it will be less and less Smile

Your little guy sure is adorable!!!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 25 Feb 2018, 12:21 am

Oh this is the only reason I dislike young mice. I was having a lovely, clean time with my two year olds and then the new baby comes in and makes a mess of my perfect wheels. Forgot how bad it was.

It will eventually stop happening though! Hang in there. Laughing
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonsz Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

Thanks everyone! Good thing Benji is cute, because he really is a smell-maker, lol.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonsz Sun 25 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

Dedenne's cage was positioned directly next to Benji's bin, so I decided to move him across the room in the hopes that Benji will mark less (Dedenne really isn't very territorial as I've noticed I'm not smelly after holding him for awhile, unlike Benji who marks constantly). Do you guys think this will help at all or not really? Confused

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm

It may, but maybe not enough to notice. When my mouse, Mickey, was younger, he stank really bad. Actually I was shocked at how stinky he was Shocked But as he settled in and became more comfortable in his new environment and with me, he became less stinky. I believe once he felt at home, he didn't feel the need to mark so much. Now that he is older, I honestly don't smell him at all anymore.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down