Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok?

3 posters

Go down

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok? Empty Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok?

Post by nyssaskorji Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:07 am

Hi,

I'm a new mouse owner and new to this forum Smile
I recently adopted two male brother baby mice from an unhappy living situation, they've been living happily together with only a few scuffles for the last 2 months in their special cage my desk. My friend who also has two mice is moving country and knowing I'm an animal lover and rescuer asked if I'd take her two one-year-old girls, of course, how could I not? My question is although the females have their own cage is it ok to keep both cages in the same room? The males can definitely smell the females when I brought them home. I thought it would be nice if they could see each other, but my husband expressed concern.
Does anyone have experience with housing male and female mice in separate cages same room?

Thanks Nys! Love

nyssaskorji

Back to top Go down

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok? Empty Re: Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 26 Feb 2018, 2:14 am

I have 3 boys all in separate cages and 2 groups of girls all in the same room, and everything is fine for me! As long as your cages are secure and they can't find a way to get to each other, you should be fine Smile

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok? Empty Re: Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok?

Post by nyssaskorji Mon 26 Feb 2018, 2:26 am

Arhhh thank you! That is very reassuring Cool My two boys currently live together in one large cage with two levels, think I should separate them? They love sleeping together and grooming each other, they won't be lonely alone? Is it ok to let them play together?
Thanks a bunch as well! I'm a tried and true bunny and pigeon owner and know all the tricks for those guys, but when it comes to mice I'm a complete noobie Smile

nyssaskorji

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:08 am

nyssaskorji wrote:Arhhh thank you! That is very reassuring Cool My two boys currently live together in one large cage with two levels, think I should separate them? They love sleeping together and grooming each other, they won't be lonely alone? Is it ok to let them play together?
Thanks a bunch as well! I'm a tried and true bunny and pigeon owner and know all the tricks for those guys, but when it comes to mice I'm a complete noobie Smile
No problem! Glad I could help Smile

I would recommend separating them, as even if males seem to be getting along, they can turn on each other at any moment and end up severely injuring or killing each other, unfortunately. As long as you give your boys lots of snuggles and playtime, they should be okay. Just give them all of the attention you possibly can. Female mice, however, almost always get along, so you shouldn't have any issues with your girls Smile

Male and female mice in separate cages same room ok? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:12 am

Oh and to clarify, for playtime I meant with you or someone else that you trust with the mice, not with each other. Males should not play together because as mentioned previously, they can turn on each other at any moment, and it may seem that they are having fun one moment and it all turns into a big fight suddenly.

Just making sure that was clear Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by nyssaskorji Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:30 am

Peachy, thanks so much, I wasn't aware that male playing could be so violent or dangerous even when brothers. I'll acquire a new cage for my boys asap <3

nyssaskorji

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:22 pm

I second everything AMO said Very Happy

Also, welcome to the forum!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down