Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Mouse Owner

+3
MiasMice
River
Pommouse
7 posters

Go down

Potential Mouse Owner  Empty Potential Mouse Owner

Post by Pommouse Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:26 am

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here! I'm very interested in having pet mice and have been doing a lot of research. However, there are some things I'm still not sure about and would like to know everyone's opinion about Smile

First of all, is the smell. I would be interested in getting 2 female mice and have a 20 gallon long for them (just an empty tank so far). I was already interested in gettings girls and will gladly purchase them as a pair if needed. So I'm not sure if having 2 females in a 20 long would have an odor. I dont tend to mind pet odors but I do live with my mom who would not like that (I'm a collage aged student who commutes from my house).

The other issue is: Petco. I've been going around seeing how they treat mice in different pet stores. I only know what I've been researching so far but they clearly had plenty of males in with the females in the female enclosure and one of the mice was seriously sick. I think the poor thing had a URI from what I've read. I would get my mice from Petsmart if I end up getting them but I fell in love with one of the girls at Petco and my heart is broken not getting her. So I want to know, what has been your experience with Petco / Petsmart mice?

Thank you for all responses in advance.!

Pommouse

Back to top Go down

Potential Mouse Owner  Empty Re: Potential Mouse Owner

Post by River Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:17 pm

Female mice don't smell too badly, especially not in larger cages.

I've gotten mice from many different petstores. So far, no related issues, however I'd just say choose the healthiest looking mouse you see in the store and be aware that she might need vet care in the future...but that's something to be anticipated with all mice. My mice have all, with the exception of one, lived to be at least two. I now try to choose from better kept sources but I didn't always.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MiasMice Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:20 pm

Most Petcos/Petsmarts don't seperate males and females as you said so there's also the opportunity of a getting a little... surprise Wink

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

That's odd! Mine have always separated them -- in fact, Petsmart sells only one gender of every animal they have here. Mistakes happen, though.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MiasMice Sun 04 Mar 2018, 1:01 pm

River wrote:That's odd! Mine have always separated them -- in fact, Petsmart sells only one gender of every animal they have here. Mistakes happen, though.

You're definitely very fortunate then! It's always a little bit of a lucky draw as to if the female animal you're purchasing is pregnant or not around all my pet stores! Laughing

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 04 Mar 2018, 2:23 pm

If you get mice from Petco, you run a decent risk of getting a pregnant mouse. PetSmart is a better option. Health wise, they probably all come from the same stock so just pick the healthiest looking mouse.

So males smell more than females... But girls still smell a bit. Especially when they are new. New mice have what we call pet shop funk. It comes from poor diet and stress, it starts to fade after about 2 weeks. Make sure you feed them quality food and give them filtered water. You will also get used to the smell.

Females do best in groups of 3, so if you get girls, i recommend picking up 3 girls. A 20g tank will be perfect for them!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Pommouse Sun 04 Mar 2018, 3:03 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Petsmarts here also only bring in one gender for each rodent to avoid breeding accidents. But they don't always have mice. Thats why I went to Petco but I'm worried the mice will be pregnant and/or have a URI. At the same time it makes me want to adopt them more to "save" them but I don't know.

Yes, I just wanted one mouse which made me want to get a male but I'm worried the smell will be too much. I'll make sure to get 3 females then! And I'm glad a 20L will be perfect for them Very Happy

Again, thank you all for the help Smile

Pommouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahjling Mon 05 Mar 2018, 12:19 pm

My petsmarts are also separated into 'Male Stores' and 'Female Stores'. Petco here only sells feeder stock, so I don't bother looking.
Maybe someday we'll get a proper mousery around here.

I know you've already thanked everyone, but if you happen to look again:

Mice smell, it happens, you can cut back on this with regular spot cleanings and cage cleanings. Do not scrub the cage entirely as eradicating their scent will make them mark more, making it smell more, faster. The best bedding I've found for odor control is Coconut Coir, or Coconut Fiber, it comes in bricks that expand when a bit of water is added, and will help to keep the smell down much more than paper, pellet, or wood beddings. From my experience, it's also less likely to trigger allergies.

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pommouse Mon 05 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

Hi! I hope so too about the mousery!

And thank you for the advice! I never heard about the coconut fiber bedding! I'll look into it.

As long as it doesnt stink up my entire room its fine. I'm very good at taking care of animal tasks daily, I tend to naturally dedicate a lot of time to them. But I'm still concerned over that. My mom wont mind them if she cant smell them.

I'm also still unsure if I should buy the Petco girl. I'm too tempted.

Pommouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeney Green Mon 05 Mar 2018, 6:10 pm

I find that mouse smell can be situational.

Funfetti's cage at the shelter smelled pretty bad, and he was doing a lot of territorial marking because he didn't like being in close proximity to the other mice. His cage at home doesn't stink until it needs a bedding change, and he doesn't really seem to mark much if at all. Same mouse, but much less stinky in a different environment. I know this doesn't directly apply since you're getting a female, but my point is that smell depends partly on the situation, not just the mouse.

If you really like the Petco girl, I think you should go for it. Even if she isn't the healthiest and doesn't live the longest, she'll be special to you and will have a good life for as long as she's with you. Smile

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by BananaPie Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:24 pm

My two girls are in a 20 gallon long and they don't smell very noticeably to me as long as I change their bedding at least twice a week. Mice just have a certain smell. It's not a horrendous odor, but if you want you can air out the room by leaving the window open for an hour everyday.

If you do get the girl from Petco, then I would say take her to the vet so they can officially say what's up with her and be prepared to take special care of her if something is wrong. But she definitely sounds like she needs some love! Jump Hearts

Hearts
Heart Rainbow2 You can't keep a good mouse down! Cookie Heart   
BananaPie
BananaPie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pommouse Thu 08 Mar 2018, 11:46 am

Sorry for the late reply! I went to Petco yesterday and all the female mice were gone.. :/ (there had been around 25)

That is really interesting about your mouse marking less too! And thank you Bananapie for sharing your experience! I did just want two or three girls in the 20L but I've read recently that soil bedding cuts down on smell dramatically? If this is so I might consider the male. I just want to know as much as I possiby can before getting a mouse or mice to make sure its as easy and stress free as possible.

Pommouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down