Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could she have caught my cold?

3 posters

Go down

Could she have caught my cold? Empty Could she have caught my cold?

Post by Razumouse Mon 05 Mar 2018, 12:31 am

The previous week hasn't been great. First, Luana is overgrooming Natsuki, next Natsuki is being a jerk to Ashia, and now Ashia might be ill. Ashia is usually full of energy, being her happy self, but something seems really off. She is slower, doesn't seem to be eating as much, one of her eyes is half closed, and her fur isn't as well kept as normal. I spotted her doing something that looked and sounded like a sneeze, which is concerning. Just recently I had a cold, but I was careful not to come in much contact with the mice, and washed my hands very well before and after doing the regular mouse things, is it possible she could have caught it? And Natsuki has been a bit mean, and has been fighting with Ashia a little, could she have a part in this? I'm thinking about taking Ashia to the vet, but I just wanted to hear the opinion of the folks here. Thank you!

Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Could she have caught my cold? Empty Re: Could she have caught my cold?

Post by River Mon 05 Mar 2018, 12:37 am

Unlikely. The common cold can't be transmitted from humans to mice or vice versa. It jusr seems like a run of bad luck for a lot of us lately! Can you hold her up to her ear and check for abnormalities like snuffles, excessive whistling or clicks with the breathing? How old is she?

She does sound under the weather. The sneezing and eye problems lead me to believe a respiratory illness of some variety but I can't say for sure.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Razumouse Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:07 am

Thank you for the quick reply, and as soon as I get the chance I will check her breathing. She is only around four months old, poor thing Sad Hopefully, whatever this is she can recover from. If she gets any worse, or I notice something with her breathing, I won't hesitate for the vet.

Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Razumouse Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:20 am

Checked her breathing, no clicking, whistling or anything else. Also, I saw Luana sneeze once too. I'm getting worried, is sneezing a bad sign? Should I possibly seperate Ashia from the others?

Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 06 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

Sneezing can definitely indicate something's wrong, but if its just once or twice, I usually dont worry! Like humans, they will sneeze, some more than others. It becomes a worry when it becomes excessive.

I wouldn't separate Ashia. If it is contagious, it's already been exposed to them. Separating won't do anything but stress her out, which could make it worse. How is she doing today?
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Razumouse Tue 06 Mar 2018, 1:17 am

Her eyes seem fine today, but otherwise still the same. I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Razumouse
Razumouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeney Green Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

It's very unlikely for a human to transmit a respiratory illness to an animal, so I doubt she caught your cold.

I agree that there's no point in separating them. If you do have a bug going around, everyone has already been exposed, so there wouldn't be much use at this point.

Glad to hear that Ashia is doing a bit better! It may be that one of her cagemates slightly injured her eye, rather than a disease. Either way, if she doesn't continue to improve it'll be vet time.

Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down