Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel Questions!

5 posters

Go down

Wheel Questions! Empty Wheel Questions!

Post by FrostytheSyrianHam Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:15 pm

I have a couple questions about wheels. I have heard that mesh wheels are the best, where can I get a mesh wheel in Canada, and what size should I get. Are mesh wheels noisy and is there anyway to fix noise? I am thinking of getting a single male mouse as I don't know of anywhere with females. Thanks in advance!

FrostytheSyrianHam

Happy

Back to top Go down

Wheel Questions! Empty Re: Wheel Questions!

Post by CucumberMouse Wed 21 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

The minimum for wheel size is 6.5 inches, but I find most mice enjoy the range of 7-8.5 inches the best. Not exactly sure where to get wheels in Canada because I don't live there... but I'm sure if you check a few online shops you could find one. Some mesh wheels will make very little noise, others can be rather loud, I think it depends on the wheel and the brand. I know that there are youtube videos explaining how to make solid wheels silent, I'm not sure if the same tricks would apply to mesh wheels, but I don't see why not. My computer's volume is messed up right now :/ so I can't double check if any of the videos are giving good or bad info, so I won't link any here. Sorry. Just make sure that if you put anything on the wheel to make it silent that it's mouse-safe.
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 22 Mar 2018, 8:04 am

I agree with the above sizes. Many mice outgrow the 6.5 inch wheel, so going with the bigger sizes could save you in the long run. I find my mesh wheels are pretty squeaky, but a coating of coconut oil after each washing does the trick.

Flying saucers are another great wheel option for mice. The medium size works well and as long as they aren’t bumping against something, they’re very quiet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FrostytheSyrianHam Fri 23 Mar 2018, 1:52 am

Thanks so much for the help! I decided I am going to get an 8 inch wheel from total pet. I just went there yesterday and discovered they have mesh wheels!

FrostytheSyrianHam

Happy

Back to top Go down

Wheel Questions! Empty 12 inch wheels?

Post by FreakoKoneko Thu 20 Jun 2019, 12:24 am

Is a 12 inch wheel TOO big for a mouse???

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 20 Jun 2019, 12:35 am

FreakoKoneko wrote:Is a 12 inch wheel TOO big for a mouse???

I think it depends on the wheel. I have a 12 inch Silent Spinner that doesn’t spin freely enough for even my gerbils to turn much (I do not recommend this size of this brand but the 6.5 and the 10 inch are great!). But if you have a 12 inch wheel that spins easily, I don’t think a mouse would have any trouble with it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 20 Jun 2019, 12:01 pm

FreakoKoneko wrote:Is a 12 inch wheel TOO big for a mouse???

I have a 12" Silent Runner (not Silent Spinner; it's a wheel made by Exotic Nutrition) and my mice love using it as well as the 9" Silent Runner I have in the cage. But I agree, some wheels like the Silent Spinner are much too hard to push even for an animal as big as a Syrian hamster let alone a mouse.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum