Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood chippings???

3 posters

Go down

wood chippings??? Empty wood chippings???

Post by Jadamouse Sun 08 Apr 2018, 4:36 am

hello fellow mouse owners!

i was wondering if manuka wood chippings or pohutukawa wood chippings are safe to use in a mouse cage?? i was thinking of making a digging box sort of thing with food scattered through ect and wanted to spice things up and use something other than regular aspen bedding. i know that beech wood chippings are safe but cant seem to find any where i live (New Zealand) and can only find manuka and pohutukawa.

please PM me if you have any idea where to buy Beechwood chippings in NZ.

thanks Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

wood chippings??? Empty Re: wood chippings???

Post by scaredymouse Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:22 pm

well... i can't say that i know about the safety of those wood types. however, the only wood that we recommend for use in the cage is aspen. and even with aspen, we like to point out that many mice can have allergies/sensitivities to wood. also, wood can be rough on their little footsies.

since you are already using aspen, you might want to try using paper bedding in a digging box for a change of pace to scatter feed. if you don't have paper bedding over there, you can use paper shreds.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Sun 08 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

okay, thank you. i will definitly try a paper based bedding Smile

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by JuniperBerry55 Sun 08 Apr 2018, 5:13 pm

'Breeders select' is a great paper pellet litter, it has barely any dust and isn't very expensive, you can buy it in countdown.

I know Animates sells this thing called 'Kritters crumble' its made from coconut husk and kind of looks like dirt. I'd imagine that would be perfect for a digging box. I haven't tried it myself but I really want to Smile

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:14 am

ah thank you, i had actually been looking at the breeders select pellets the other day wondering if they were safe, i have had kritters krumble in the past and my mice loved it however its a bit on the expensive side but its a good idea for a digging box Smile

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum