Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse aggression

3 posters

Go down

Mouse aggression Empty Mouse aggression

Post by nimnim123 Sun 15 Apr 2018, 8:06 pm

So I just got a pair of new mice boys and I have 2 problems.
1. The new boys are boys, and I’m considering separating them to keep them safe but I’m planning to give them a chance first. Any ideas on what to look out for?
2. My original boy bit me and has become aggressive since I got the new ones. How can I help him to adjust? I just don’t want him to become too aggressive. Should I place one of the other boys items in his cage to help him get used to the cage? Or just give him a little bit of time to calm down?
Thank you in advance to any help!
nimnim123
nimnim123

Back to top Go down

Mouse aggression Empty Re: Mouse aggression

Post by Jadamouse Sun 15 Apr 2018, 8:38 pm

male mice should not really be kept together. they could seem fine one day, and then the next they could have a fight resulting in injuries or even death. this is just natural behaviour with male mice. your original boy is probably getting aggressive because he can smell the new boys, if possible you could move his cage into a different room, as this would mean he couldn't smell the new boys.

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by nimnim123 Sun 15 Apr 2018, 8:54 pm

I’m trying to get him used to the smell so they can all be in the same room. It’s only day 1. Several other sources have told me to watch with time and if fights occur too often to then separate them but I’m leaning towards separating them soon. Thanks for the advice Smile
nimnim123
nimnim123

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 16 Apr 2018, 7:04 pm

If your first male is biting brcause he can smell your other boys, you definitely don't want to put their items in his cage! He could be biting because he's defending his territory or because he's scared. Male sure you wash your hands before handling him and give him time to adjust to the new smells. Give him treats when he does well with you, maybe talk to him so he knows it's you and understands that there's no threat.

If your new boys are snuggling and playing together and not arguing over toys or food or anything it may be ok for the moment, but I would separate the boys at the first sign of any squabbling. Serious fights can really happen that quick!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down