Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

retirement cage?

2 posters

Go down

retirement cage? Empty retirement cage?

Post by Jadamouse Mon 07 May 2018, 3:09 pm

so just something i want other peoples opinions on...

i have a solitary female (Oreo) who will be 2 in early june, and she is definitely aging fast at this point. she barely ever uses her wheel, sleeps a LOT, and only really comes out to eat and drink. my vet and i think she is blind and deaf as she does not notice when i move something in her cage, and i literally have to brush my hand up near her for her to even notice i am there, and a few times she has sort of jumped as if i scared her. i can literally wiggle my fingers in front of her and she does not respond, and she never moves her ears like my other mice do when i make noise.

so anyway the cage she is currently in is quite large (its a large bin cage), and she pretty much never leaves her nest any further than to where her food and water is. (which is next to her nest) I have a spare 38 Liter (10 gallon) tank with a mesh lid that i could move her into. i feel like it would make it a lot easier for her to move around and she barely uses most of her current cage anyway, so should i move her into a retirement cage type thing? i just want other peoples opinions about the whole situation.

thanks in advance Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

retirement cage? Empty Re: retirement cage?

Post by CallaLily Mon 07 May 2018, 4:08 pm

I don’t think moving her to a smaller setup would be a problem. I would move familiar items with her and try to keep it similarly set up, at least at first. But if you can’t move her for whatever reason, just keeping all the necessities together like you’ve described would be enough.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Mon 07 May 2018, 11:53 pm

okay, thank you, i think i will move her later this week Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down