Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amber is a naughty little mouse!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amber is a naughty little mouse! Empty Amber is a naughty little mouse!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 16 May 2018, 11:57 pm

A couple days ago I noticed that Autumn had some whiskers missing, as if she were being barbered. I didn't think much of it and thought it was just a one-time incident. Then yesterday, I came in and noticed both Autumn and Blossom had bite marks on their backs! Then today, I come in and Sugar has her whiskers barbered too, and a bite by her ear! Shocked

Now this is a group of four, so the only mouse left unhurt is Amber. Obviously, Amber is the likely culprit. So as soon as I noticed Sugar's bite and whiskers missing, I took Amber right out, and put her in a holding cage while I figured out what I was going to do. It was funny, because I put her in a barred holding cage and she looked like a little prisoner Laughing

So then I prepared a tank and put her in it alone. What do you recommend I do? Here is my current layout of groups of mice:

40 gallon tank:
Blossom
Autumn
Sugar

20 gallon long tank:
Starling
Sage

10 gallon tank:
Willow
Olive

20 gallon high tank:
Lil' Amber on time-out

My intention was to introduce Willow and Olive to Starling and Sage in a few days, but now that Amber is being a bully I'm thinking I should make some other arrangement. What do you think? I'm kind of lost here Confused

Amber is a naughty little mouse! Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Amber is a naughty little mouse! Empty Re: Amber is a naughty little mouse!

Post by CallaLily Fri 18 May 2018, 7:19 pm

I think I would just try reintroducing Amber to her original group after time-out. See if she does any better. Then go from there. Unless this is an ongoing thing? Sorry I can’t remember.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 18 May 2018, 7:27 pm

CallaLily wrote:I think I would just try reintroducing Amber to her original group after time-out. See if she does any better. Then go from there. Unless this is an ongoing thing?  Sorry I can’t remember.
This is the first time I've seen Amber actually harm another mouse, she's gotten in a lot of squabbles - you know, the usual screaming, chasing, eye squinting stuff, but never actually bit or barbered anyone. Blossom is the one that was having problems before, but putting her on time-out for a week solved everything with her.

Thanks, I'll try reintroducing her. I think I'll do it like I did with Blossom and just plop her right in the tank so she feels like an outsider.

Amber is a naughty little mouse! Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 19 May 2018, 1:39 pm

That's a good strategy! Bad girl.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 19 May 2018, 11:20 pm

She might be on time-out for being a bad girl, but she's still cute.

Amber is a naughty little mouse! Img_5514

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 20 May 2018, 12:07 pm

Such a great picture! She’s so cute I’m having trouble believing she’s been mean. Laugh

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 27 May 2018, 9:55 pm

Thumbs Down

It was not a success.

I put her in and she seemed to still want to be the dominant mouse, too dominant. She was chasing the mice around and grabbing them when they just wanted to get away. I left her though, because there was no blood. Four days later, a bite shows up on Autumn's back again Sad

Amber was separated back into her timeout cage. What now?

I already introduced Starling, Sage, Willow, and Olive together so figuring something out with them is not an option anymore. I'm really not sure what to do. Should she just be on timeout for another week until she learns?

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 04 Jun 2018, 5:24 pm

Ugh, I'm still not sure what to do Sad

I put her in twice since I wrote that last post but I didn't feel comfortable leaving her in there. She was behaving very dominant as soon as I put her in with the others, and they just all cowered down and were very submissive. Even Autumn, who is a show type mouse about 2x Amber's size. Laughing

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Mon 04 Jun 2018, 7:36 pm

Maybe Amber had, or is having, some sort of health-related incident. Not feeling well, or at least having your normal perceptions of your world and your participation in it altered, can make you cranky at least. Maybe she has developed spring allergies -- GAAAHHHHH!

Blossom had a misbehaviour incident too, not long ago, right? Maybe they're just starting to get tired of looking at the same mousie faces all the time, dealing with the same mousie idiosyncrasies all the time. Nothing a nice summer vacation wouldn't fix ... no -- wait -- I was thinking of me.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 05 Jun 2018, 6:32 am

I’m sorry it still isn’t working out. Sad When I had a group that just would not work I ended up splitting them into 2 groups of 2. Put the two bullies together and the poor beaten up mousey with the only girl that was somewhat nice to her. They lived happily and when one passed, I successfully reintroduced the 3 now much older ladies back together.

But @scaredymouse usually has some great suggestions for tough introductions. Maybe she’ll have an idea that’ll work.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 05 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

I'd try neutral territory in a play bin in a couple-three weeks.

Is Amber alpha? Barbering is a show of dominance... not having her scent around won't change her dominant personality.

Neutral territory, and you might have to try time outs a few times before it clicks. Alternatively, find a mouse who is MORE dominant to help put her in her place or separate her with someone who can tolerate her. This is what I ended up having to do with my ultra-dominant and territorial lady several years ago. She was peaceful and sweet as pie when she only had one other mouse to worry about.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 06 Jun 2018, 12:59 pm

You already know all my tricks.... I would try what Peachy suggested.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 05 Jul 2018, 4:36 am

Amber is still a super bad girl, despite also being super cute. I don't know what to do with this girl! She's been on time-out countless times because she bites every mouse she sees, it's like every mouse is a target and she wants to bite them all. Today I tried to introduce all my girls, and Amber wouldn't stop attacking them. I split up a fight between her and Blossom by scooping up Amber in my hand, and when I scooped her up I had a tuft of Blossom's hair in my hand, so she's so violent she's yanking hair out of them! They started in neutral territory and I cleaned everything in the cage.

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 05 Jul 2018, 9:18 am

How does she do with no toys? In the cage, no hides or wheels or food bowls for the first hour or so. Scattered food and snacks and a water bottle. If she does ok introduce a simple hide, like a box. Then slowly, over a few days, add more.

Does she respond better to only one other mouse? Any mouse that seems more tolerant and patient with her.

Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:37 pm

Uuuuugggghhhh lol. I really have an issue here. I tried neutral territory with no toys, she still fought. I tried putting her in a dirty cage again that is the territory of the other mice and not hers, she still fought. The only mouse she gets along with is Blossom, because Blossom is so old she basically just surrenders to everyone because she can't fight back anymore. I want Blossom to enjoy her last days, however many left she may have, with her sisters in peace though. I don't want to worry about poor defenseless Blossom getting hurt by Amber. Amber and Willow get in big fights over who is the alpha, they are both pretty dominant but Amber always seems to be more dominant. Starling chases Amber around a little but isn't super dominant. Olive and Blossom basically just ignore fights and surrender if Amber is trying to assert dominance on them. Then Sage won't start fights with her but she will defend herself if she is being chased, squeaked at, etc.

AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next