Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop mites getting to the cage?

4 posters

Go down

How to stop mites getting to the cage? Empty How to stop mites getting to the cage?

Post by PrincessPets Fri 25 May 2018, 3:25 pm

Hi,
I am getting my first ever mouse tomorrow(male).I am worried because my hamsters in the same room and she has mites.The breeder said she would put apply some spot on onto him but I am still still worried about him getting them.I have washed his cage and toys tonight.Is there any other ways I can make sure the mites stay away from him?Would a line of washing up liquid round his cage work.I haven’t put any bedding in yet but will tonight.I really don’t know what to do.I asked the breeder if she could keep him longer but she doesn’t have enough cages.I can’t move either of them because their in large glass tanks.Does anybody have any advice?
Thanks,
Emily

PrincessPets

Back to top Go down

How to stop mites getting to the cage? Empty Re: How to stop mites getting to the cage?

Post by Blessed Fri 25 May 2018, 9:23 pm

If their cages are far enough apart, at least, I highly doubt your mouse will come up with some, too. So, you should be okay keeping them in the same room, but far apart, just in case. Oh, and one more thing: Wash your hands every time after handling any rodent, and say, you just handled your hamster or just fed her without even touching her...Then say you're about to feed or handle your mouse next...well, wash your hands before you do.
I think you're good to go in getting him tomorrow. Good vibes

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

How to stop mites getting to the cage? Empty Re: How to stop mites getting to the cage?

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 25 May 2018, 9:41 pm

I agree with what Blessed said. As long as you wash your hands in between handling the hamster and mouse, which really you should always do anyway so they don't smell one another on your hands, they should be fine Very Happy Can't wait to see your new mouse!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 26 May 2018, 8:25 am

You could also treat your mice as a preventative. Many here do this with new mice anyway. More info here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites.

EDIT:  I just realized you said the breeder was already treating him beforehand. You’ll be fine. Smile Don’t know why my first read through I thought you meant the hamster. The hamster is also being treated, right?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down